Unofficial?

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

yeah.. not Anglesea ;-) ... well at least not that supposed site anyway.

We could do one in the North Derbyshire peaks, whilst it would be a few more quid in fuel for the likes of Richard and Austin there are heaps of greenlanes we could do so no expense of vehicular entertainment other than fuel and vare.and.tear.

I know some lanes, and could research some more to pull together a route.

Any one suggest any camp sites if this sounds a viable proposition.

May 26th 27th? Should be OK for school half term fingers crossed.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Sounds good to me, I may well have a new shiney D3 by then too. I'm hopeful at least!

Reply to
Nige

In that case the Son Of Frontera lane near Mam Torr is a must - unless they've repaired it too - all the other good ones have been mended recently ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamends

beamends uttered summat worrerz funny about:

An unofficial Beamends roadshow perhaphs ;-)

Rich can you recommend any camp sites, I seem to recall some distant mutterings of campsites and the word pub might have been involved too.

Tom and I are up for some exploring Feb half term and I need to pop over and see you for some pointers as to where Tom can get the 101. I've got a few lanes sort of Ashbourne , Kniveton , Carsingtonway to seek guidance on, you done much that way? I do need to get a rear wheel carrier for the Disco ( 300 shape , price ? ) so will be mixing business with pleasure.

Of course if you need to deliver some parts that way mid week half term I'm sure we may follow :-)

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

On or around Sun, 4 Feb 2007 17:47:29 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

There were some thoughts of hereford/worcester and using BiL Tim's place for some gentle off-roading, depending on the weather. Since the unofficials seem to be more about the getting together, camping, beer and bacon butties in the morning then the actual off-roading...

it could be scuppered by the weather though - if it's too wet then carving up the fields to excess would be frowned on. If the ground's reaosnably dry though...

There are sundry things to do or visit not that far away, like Bulmers in Hereford, for exmaple...

half-term week here is May 28th to June 1st, I'm busy the weekend 26th/27th.

There's always the easter hols. round here, they're 2nd to 13th April, with easter weekend in the middle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That should be the main purpose of the event IMHO. And Nige won't get his D3 too dirty either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Ah but is it prudent driving a D3 that far away from the nearest LR dealership? they get workshop fever if the reports are anything to go by. I do like that bit of the world its almost my back yard plenty of variety as well none damaging to 'christamighty' you don't expect me to go down there without a parachute?

Derek

Reply to
Derek

At the last unofficial the D3 was going places I'd not venture!... or is it that could not venture. Closely followed by Nige. Took some serious talkin out of disapearing in to a mud filled tank trap too :-)

Decission made - I've aborted any unofficial plan for May now and I am about to make other commitments, SIII 90 and 110 Club National.

Let me know any dates re April though I can't promise owt as I need to balance Landrovers and real life.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Landrovers are real life, anything else is just detracting from it. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

On Feb 4, 7:34 pm, "Dr_D" wrote:

Looks like my first post disappeared into electronic land-fill....

It went something like this...

The pub at Biggin has a campsite out back, with facilities, but more importantly it sells proper beer and grub. Early booking needed though I'd guess, as for anywhere in Them Thar Hills- there's the Star Caravan Park (massive) near Alton too, that has facilities and a pub over the road (not been in there for years, but it used to be good). If facilities are not so important then I can ask around the customers to see if anyone fancies a few quid for having a bunch of gypo's in a field for the weekend - Ipstones would be good - 4 pubs to choose from within 200 yards and a fantastic Indian just up the road at Bottomhouse. May is probably quite a good time as Lambing is mostly over. If you bring some maps covering Hartington, Buxton to Ashbourne, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Doveholes and Mam Torr and the Chalk Downs Way (or something like that) towards Matlock/Chesterfield and Tideswell I can mark routes that should keep everyone mostly off-tramac for a day. I've driven them recently, but not entirely sure about legality at the moment. Unfortunately the ford (an absolute belter) at Ashford is off- limits it seems - would your oppo's over that way be able to help there with the exact status? There's a ford at, er, somewhere near Ashbourne too that's definately ok, and one at Butterton thats good, but only if it's been raining a lot, when it becomes rather surreal. Unfortunately most of my marked maps have been nicked over the years or you could simply have used those. There's a couple that would be iffy in a 101 without a bow saw to hand, and one that can be done but you need to take the sides off to get through a narrow gate, but most are ok - I've done them all many times in the 110 (and various 88"s), even before they were "mended".

I don't think I can get away mid week any more, I'm likely to get back to a mob with burning torches and pitch forks (trade customers are a tad demanding), plus it would be a very long day to see them all in one go. I am closing on Sundays now though so I can get out more, so a Sunday would be good.

Anyone got a 200Tdi (pref Defender version) going for the right money BTW? Got the 90, got the tyres, but can't live with a 2.5D!

Richard

Reply to
beamends

beamends uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right , will get paper maps as appropriate - clever smart arse technology let us down big time last time we went out, steep learning curve in'it!

March 18th any use?

I'll keep them peeled.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

The 101 moving may depend on what stocks of clutch hydraulics and pipework Richard has in stock (clutch stopped working thismorning and I have a lack of juice in the reservoir and havent confirmed its new location yet).

Also my attendance now partly depends on how I get on with my ongoing garden security improvements. Got some bricks to stack up, trenches to dig, pointy sticks to sharpen....

Reply to
Tom Woods

Fine! Let me know if it's a date!

Cheers.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:42:39 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

succinctly put. you can't get much more real than a land rover.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Im up for that.

Would be nice to meet some peeps

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Is that anything like two wives?

Reply to
EMB

No. Land Rovers only tell you you need to spend money on necessities! And they don't object if you go to the pub.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Less noisy.