Wheel bearings

How much play is permissible on s3 88", also how tight do you do up the centre nut when adjusting wheel bearings. Do FWH make the job any harder to change wheel bearings

Thanks

Reply to
TL

Play should be just perceptible -0.10 -0.015mm. I think it is the same for all Landrovers. >also how tight do you do up the

Until there is the above amount of play after the lock nut is tightened.

Not if you know how to pull your free wheeel hubs apart.

JD

Reply to
JD

The later Fairey FWH were AFAIK remarketed as Superwinch?? These are held on by steel hex setscrews through the alloy head into a steel replacement for the standard LR , steel drive member. Once you get the screws out the alloy head comes away to reveal a normal castellated nut/split pin arrangement.

The problem is in getting the steel screws out of the alloy head. They tend to weld in over time and trying to get them out with an allen key tends to round the hex shaped depression out and "yer fecked".

I've had success in using a torx head in an electric drill to get these out - but that's a desperation job.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme