Why don't politicians like 4x4's

I am sick of being the butt of any politicians "in" moan to gain votes. The latest will be that we are "taxed off the road" if a certain party gets in !! I wonder if their perks ( for the jerks) of large ministerial auto's and jets will be going down the same road ?? I can understand the arguement for the school run, but surely this should apply to all cars not just 4x4's, what the hell have we done ?

Reply to
Hirsty's

Offended the Ramblers?

Reply to
David G. Bell

"Hirsty's" a écrit dans le message de news: ioc4d.52$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...

What have we done? Well, we have bought a car that will have a life (statistically) three times longer than the average car. We also have a car that is 'safer' in the way that you see the traffic from a higher point of view, and also is less prone to speeding. But I'm biased, of course.

-- Henry!

-- "Pleasure in a thing of beauty is the essence of a good life." Zino Davidoff

Reply to
Henry!

I feel the politicians view may have been generated by one certain mayor whose tendencies lean towards the 'red'. A person who does not own a car, hates all cars and insists public transport is the way forward.

I tend to agree that the X5 for the 200 yd school run is stupid and if I look a little east from where I live to an area of Southend named Thorpe bay, the abundance of 'designer' 4x4's is very evident and not necessary from any practical point of view.

It is a shame we are all tarred with the same brush and impossible to prove legitimacy of use.

I have a busines idea to manufacture kiddy steps to allow the little darlings to get in and out of daddy's Porsche Cayenne!!!!!

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

In message , Hirsty's writes

We've exercised independent judgement rather than buy the type of vehicles which most motor manufacturers thought we ought to buy. This provokes a backlash of inverted snobbery from the weak minded cannon fodder who have just bought what the advert tells them to buy.

Reply to
hugh

Well, there you have it. What's the point of a vehicle which is less likely to provide funds for the revenue cameras?

Reply to
Stoneskin

So *that*'s why they outlawed Thundersley Invalid Carriages.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Reply to
John Moppett

Coz the're eejits !

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

Bloody ramblers with there great big boots churning up all the green lanes, can't we have them banned :)

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

Well, as a middle/lower class person, I'd love a new Rangie...

Reply to
Mother

Not a lot of people realise the strange 'tool' on a Swiss Army knife - you know, the sticky-outy thing, is actually intended to help remove ramblers from the tyre tread on a Landie...

Mind, if it's Janet Shit-Potty I'd be concerned of punctures from her teeth. Best use a lump-hammer to remove them first, then prize her out of the tread...

Reply to
Mother

Ah!! you need the one I have. It's slightly larger than the little sticky out thingy and with a bit of application enables you to hammer them back into the tread if they are'nt quite done. I call it my "roamer" knife

Reply to
Hirsty's

Funny, I had you posted as much lower class than that....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

You're kidding me, some git at the northern Sortout near Harrogate sold me a large hammer for putting the buggers in there in the first place. Apparently it's going to be particularly icy this winter.

Reply to
wayne

Round here on my ex Council estate it's mostly series and defenders with the odd suzuki thrown in, all pretty funtional motors. mostly labour voters too.

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

Why would they like a 4x4 when they can have two Jaguars instead?

And, rather like fox hunting, discussing 4x4s wastes enough parliamentary time that they don't have to get round to discussing any important matters !!!

Why are the press not hounding this Govt. out of power? They did the last one! And if they did who on earth would we pick to succeed them at the moment!

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

Further to my above posting I have just seen on the news that the MP who has put the hunting bill up for discussion again has had to cancel 2 appearances because of pro-hunt demonstrations. He says he is surprised that they have nothing better to do with their time than to demonstrate!!!! Surely he has better things to discuss in Parliament than foxes - wjat about Iraq? The faultering economy? Immigration? Train network collapse? and that isn't even touching on health and education!!!!

I am not posting to support humting - each will have their own view on this. I am posting to highlight whay muppets we have in parliament at the moment! They doubt we should be allowed to demonstration despite being a democracy. They skirt any awkward issues and they threaten to miss out stages of Govornment by bypassing the Lords! And all of this from a party who only got 1 in 4 of the populations vote. Are we allowing a backdoor precedent of a Big Brother society to rule us??

End of speach! Soapboxes should be racing not stood on I suppose!

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

Don't want to hijack this thread but ....What if all genuine 4x4 owners agreed to have their vehicles as a seperate sub group on the general licence and had to take a further off road test before being allowed to drive them and that off road test had to have an element of Green Lane etiquette in it? How many bus run vehicles would be around then? Granted it would effct sales of vehicles but it would show that the damage is caused by others and not us and that we would then be the Good Guys for promoting a way forward.

Just a thought:>)

MAB

Reply to
MAB

Unlike you to confuse fashion with style...

Reply to
Mother