Hi mileage LS 400 ??

I've been considering buying a LS 400 1997 or older and haven't found many with less than 100,000 miles. I spoke to the Lexus dealer service manager about how long they last and he related that they service many of these with over 300,000 miles and few around 400,000 miles, no major problems. The mileage math doesn't add unless these cars are on the road all the time, must be great road cars. I wonder if any owners of high mileage cars might want to comment on the costs to get from 100,000 to 300,000? BTW I bought a 1978 Mercedes 300CD in 1979 with 15,000 miles and took it to

325,000 miles in 1994, lots of hiway miles. I never had any major problems just wear parts like tires, brakes, batteries, one new window motor, one alternator, a paint job, and a heater controller. I sold it because it needed rotors, shocks, ball joints and a bunch of smaller things that soon added up.
Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Hank, I have a '96 LS400 which today has 55,800 on the clock. I bought it in 2001 from the widow of a dear friend when it had 42k on it. I've had it

4 years now and have put 13k on it. The car has always been Lex dealer maintained and as long as I own it that will continue to be the case. In 4 years and 13k miles I've spent less than $800 (not including tires). I have all the receipts from my friend's ownership as well. Of course it was under warranty then, but overall the repairs have been few and far between. Looks like they replaced the battery in '99 when it was 3 years old. I replaced the hood struts last year (hood wouldn't stay open) and the alternator (intermittent shorted diode). I've changed the oil twice in 4 years at 5000 mi intervals. I had them inspect the timing belt last year and was told there is very little wear and no cause for concern. I just put a new set of Michelins on it ($600) in January. I think the upcoming 60k mile checkup may be an expensive one, prolly another $500-$600 or so. What little maintenance there's been so far is sure lots cheaper than a car note. Magnificent car, looks nearly showroom fresh inside & out.
Reply to
New Owner

Please find me one or me yours.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Thanks for warning us. What's that VIN again? I don't want to be caught trying to buy that car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Sorry OM, not for sale. I bought it for the XYL. She's a lifelong stay-at-home "homemaker" who only drives it to & from the local neighborhood grocery, Wal-Mart, etc. We've taken it on a few short trips from our home in Houston to our son's place in Ft. Worth, about 500 mi round trip. Fuel economy is sure nothing to write home about, 15~16 city, about 20~21 highway and of course it uses premium gasoline, typical for big heavy rear-wheel drive V8. Seat leather looks like new. Exterior color is called "Cashmere Beige Metallic" w/gold badging (one of the few colors gold badging doesn't look jakey on).

Keep looking, they're out there. You just have to be patient. I'd advise nothing older than '95

73's yourself de wb9fop/5
Reply to
New Owner

Hi There:

I am the Site Administrator for a Lexus Only website. I suggest you visit our forums at

and post in the LS Forums.

But to answer your question, I find that as long as timing belt, water pump, shocks/struts, and all fluids are changed as required (oil,brake,tranny,differetial etc) the vehicle should go to 300K with no quams. I've have a 1993 ES300 with 220K on it with the original motor/tranny. IMO, the key to longevity is maintaining the car and not abusing it.

Good luck in you search, feel free to come visit LexusLovers.com :)

Reply to
LexusLoversDotCom

I have a 95 LS400, purchased with 80,000 miles, had the time belt and water pump changed at 100,000, a little over the scheduled time. I now have

139,000 miles on it, no other repairs required. I'm thinking it is good for at least a couple of 100,000 more. Great return on investment if you can keep from falling for all the marketing people wanting you to get another car every few years. I also have a 94 4runner, 180,000 mile nothing other than scheduled maintanence on it either. can't say enought good about Toyota/Lexus. I will most likely never own anything but a Toyota, getting my son one the Scion xB , 100% made in Japan.
Reply to
<griffin2150