LS400 Whining Engine(?)

Hello L/Owners,

Let me cut to the point. At startup, the motor generates a high-pitch noise but disappears when the engine is "warmed". This problem continues, though and everytime I step on the gas, it whines. The harder the car accelerates, the louder it gets. I'm selling it next year anyways so if it's expensive to fix it, I'm not going to do it. Anyone have a similar experience, if so, what was the issue?

If it changes in direct porportion to with engine RPM, then I'd suspect something in an engine accessory: power steering pump, alternator, belts, pulleys, etc. If it changes in proportion more to load, then I'd suspect something having to do with the induction system, such as a vaccum hose or other induction leak.

If you anticipate selling, I'd let it ride unless you think it would be a serious impediment to the sale. But, if it's fairly noticeable, my bet is that if you took it to an experienced Lexus mechanic, you could probably get an accurate diagnosis just by revving it in the parking lot, so why not find out?

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I experienced a high pitch whining noise, more like a gear-grinding noise. It turned out to be related to the power steering section. At first i notice the Dexron fluid was low. But then it was because there was a leak.

I had to replace the power steering "thingy".

Alas, no more noise other than those of my own...

Reply to
TopSurfer