RX350

I am pretty sure that it is using instantaneous fuel economy and not average fuel economy to calculate distance to empty. Knowing how Toyota engineers think, their logic would be that how the vehicle is being driven now is a more valid indication of what the remaining distance is than how the vehicle was driven before because it ispossible that a change in drivers or driving style will have a bigger effect on remaining distance than past driving style

The low fuel warning light only comes on when the fuel is low and does not come on with the other trouble lights when you turn the ignition on without starting the car. I am pretty sure this is pointed out in the owner's manual.

Reply to
Ray O

Not the instantaneous value, but a short-term average over the past few minutes. Averaging over the entire trip/tank is meaningless if conditions are changing. Audi's system seems to be a bit more accurate than Toyota/Lexus, but if your driving conditions change, waiting 5 minutes should give an adequately accurate estimate of "distance remaining" in all cases.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

"Jay Somerset >" Not the instantaneous value...

Right. The instantaneous MPG fluctuates wildly (e.g., when you step on the gas). The remaining miles is a very steady number.

I suspect that it uses the average MPG that's stored in the memory. And if you reset the system to zero, it uses the average MPG since reset.

Reply to
David Z

My recollection is that it says 300 miles after a tank fill (it used to say 320 miles, so I guess I'm driving more aggresively lately or driving less highway miles). When the fuel gauge says 1/4 tank, I think it says about 60 miles (75 to 80 miles would be 1/4 of 300 or 320). When the low fuel light comes on I think it says 20 miles.

Looks like they're subtracting about 20 miles (as opposed to 20 kilometers). Maybe they just subtract 20 "whatevers" depending what mode it's set on.

Reply to
David Z

Ignore anything except the gas gauge. You can do it!

Reply to
mcbrue

Since you never have anything worthwhile to add to the discussion, just ignore it!

You can do it!

Reply to
David Z

Just to report I ran it down to below 1/8th mark. Well down. It took 65L to fill up when the low fuel light came on.

This meant there was 7.5L in the tank that could get me 60 Kms. (city) DTE reading was 37. So the error isn't so bad when I run it waaay down.

I will try it again for repeatability.

Just getting to know my car....

Reply to
The Visitor