Changing wishbones on VX Omega ? EASY ?

Hi there,

I have a V plate Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6 Saloon. I have been advised that the wishbone bush on passenger side (the large doughnut shaped bush) will need replacing soon.

I believe that its easier to get a wishbone and have that done (rather than pressing in a new bush).

Are the wishbones on the Omega =93easy=94 to do for a competent DIY mechanic, or are they a sod and easier to pay a bit more and have somebody else scrape the skin off their knuckles at a garage to do !

Thanks in advance. Andy.

Reply to
a.j.beddoes

ISTR doing a Carlton once, if they're similar. In theory it was easy, but all the bolts were sealed with the world's strongest locking compound which "held" on right to the end of the threads making it an right pain of a job. Make sure you have the car jacked as high as you can and supported very safely to allow plenty of room for levering.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

On the front or rear? I don't recall there being a donut shaped one on the front. Easy to get a new wishbone from the likes of

If the rear then it's not part of the "wishbone".

Reply to
adder1969

It's coming back to me now. One side of mine (carlton) was easy and I thought it'd be a breeze but the other I had to drill off one of the nuts. Then I remember having to use a heavy sledge hammer and a solid rod to get the hub balljoint locating pin off. Not sure if it's the same on an Omega. So, you might get it easy but you might not.

Reply to
adder1969

You went in ince and gentle then :)

Reply to
James

I'm normally a "brain over brawn" kind of man, but this one got me. There's a tapered pin that hold the spindle of the balljoint and it didn't want to move. In the end it started moving maybe a 1/4mm at a time.

Reply to
adder1969