Diesel injector woes.

Have a berlingo with a 1.9 diesel engine, only 30k on the clock.

It broke down the other day but was repaired under warranty-one of the injectors was "Stuck up" (Garages term, not mine). I assume this to mean that the internal mechanism was stuck in the 'up' position, rather than it was clogged?)

Since then it has broken down again..same problem but a different injector!!

What are the possible causes of this?

Current thoughts are:

  1. a batch of faulty injectors were fitted when the car was new.

-or-

  1. Some sort of problem with the fuel. (Contaminated?)

Is it possible that a problem with the injector pump could cause the injectors to stick open? Too much pressure maybe?

I may decide to replace the remaining injectors, the logic being that they have done the same mileage and are from the same batch so (In theory) are in the same condition.

Never having bought injectors before, do they need to be 'calibrated' before fitting or can I simply fit them as supplied?

Any gotchas I should be aware of when fitting injectors?

Is it worth using a bottle of injector cleaner on a regular basis? If so, what's a good (And easily available) brand?

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

I wouldn't expect injectors to fail so soon normally. It's quite possible that just one was faulty. I wouldn't replace the others unless you want to be belt and braces, but even if you replace them there's nothing to say one or more of the new ones isn't faulty.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

I always stick a bottle of STP in mine ( only before MOTs)

Many other people will tell you ATF does the same... and of course is cheaper.

Incidentally STP stuff should retail around the £3.50 mark petrol stations often charge £6.00

Reply to
Tom Burton

I've been using the Commer (Comma?) stuff that Halfords sell. I think it works but it could just be wishful thinking. I did some mpg checks before and after and there was an improvement but my mpg seems to be so variable that I can't really be sure.

Reply to
Malc

Once had a vw in running like a bag of s*1t,very bad water contamination made injectors stick. Drained and cleaned fuel system and a new set of injectors and it was mint :O)

Reply to
Angus McCoatup