Do white lines at the edge of a road have any meaning?

Sorry, this is not quite car maintenance but is related to motoring.

Do these white lines at road edge have any legal status or meaning?

Thank you, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

AFAIK it's not got any meaning or status other than to make it obvious to the intellectually challenged that there's an entrance there & parking on it leaves you open to a charge of obstruction.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Doesn't look official, but it may be a private road? Clearly, the intention is to stop someone parking along this line.

Reply to
johannes

Thanks Duncan, Interesting. The entrance is at the very end of a public road. Perhaps it's to deter turning around.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks Johannes,

this is a public road, adopted by the local highway authority. The marking would appear to be on the public highway. If the marking is unofficial, what body could enforce any restriction? There is no signage to indicate any restriction.

Reply to
Nick

If you're obstructing access from the road to a drive then it's down to plod.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

Unless the law has changed very recently, that's not the case.

It's an offence to obstruct access *to* the highway, but not *from* the highway to private property. That would be a civil matter.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Have you actually got a driving license? When you sign it you sign that you have read and understood the Highway Code.

Reply to
Tim

Another idiot who has obtained a drivers license by deception.

Reply to
Tim

Steve Firth

Perhaps you would care to give a reference to that road marking in the Highway Code?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm not helping anyone gain a license by deception. Let him look it up.

Reply to
Tim

I haven't signed a drivers licence for over 25 years and I'm fairly sure that those white lines were not mentioned then. In fact, they don't seem to be mentioned now.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

They're not. Spot the morphing idiot troll who doesn't even know that the Highway Code isn't the law.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Your acknowledgement that you were talking crap and that your driving licence, if you have one, should be burned before your eyes; noted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks Mike, also my thanks to those that have posted helpful and informative replies. The location is none of the above, it is at the end of a semi-rural adopted street. Street lights, pavements etc. All maintained by local highway authority.

For the womans part of the anatomy: Yes I do have a driver's licence. That's licenCe ... with a C... as in C U Next Tuesday. Perhaps yours is spelt with an S.... as in SH*T.

Thanks again, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

They appear to have no legal meaning:

David Taylor

I have a similar set up outside a garage I rent onto a public road. They are there for guidance only and have no force in law.

However, there was a law introduced a couple of years ago, limited to London only at the moment (I think)? where if you block somebody's drive (indicated by dropped curbs) you could be liable for a ticket see

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter
[...]

It applies to any area where the council has taken over control of parking infringements from the police; however, getting them to act on it might be difficult...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nick has brought this to us :

On a public section of road, you can ask the local council to install the lines, if you are troubled with people parking and obstructing your access. They have no legal status, other than to act as a reminder that parking there could be classed as an obstruction. Lines or no lines it would still be an obstruction.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield