Ford focus ghia and zatec

I'm battling on which model to get at the moment. I'm wondering what the main differences are in the two. I've looked on parkers and seen the spec stuff.

But driving wise is the 1.6 ghia painfully slow compared to the 1.6 zetec ?

In comparison to a golf if anyone has that knowledge. I had a golf 1.6 whilst not a rocket it was sufficient for my needs. Just wondering which of the above would match the golf 1.6 2001 and offer goof fuel economy. I used to get about 440 miles in a tank on the golf with 200 moiles on the motorway at 60-70 and the rest was town and country driving mainly country roads.

Just pondering how good the above are on petrol, I assume it would be better being a lighter? car and not such a tank. The golf was quite thirsty.

So far the ghia 1.6 is calling out to me has all the toys I need and seems reasonable insurance wise, tax wise. The zetech is a little more just after a little direction on which way to go.

I will of course take both for a test drive but I'm looking for something cheap to run petrol wise that is, maintenance is not to bad on a focus from what I see.

Thanks

Reply to
Jacob

What sort of age vehicle?

Speaking purely of '98'-'05 models, there is no difference in performance; both use the same engine spec and gearing. The Zetec has slightly stiffer suspension and slightly lower ride height. Any other differences are purely in trim and equipment. Unless you feel the burning need to buy the alleged "sporty" version, or the "all extras included" version, you would perhaps be best advised to just get the best Focus you can find for the money, including an LX.

Whatever you choose, for your own comfort, and future resale value, make certain you get one with A/C and a heated front screen. (It's unlikely you will find a Ghia without those.)

IMHO, they will both feel zippy and nimble compared to a Golf. Fuel consumption will be similar to or better than the Golf.

I've previously owned a '99 1.8 LX, bought new (and written off when 10 years old :-() and currently have an'03 1.6 Zetec. If I had to buy another Focus (and I would without a moments thought), I would look for a

1.8 Ghia. My low annual mileage makes fuel costs less of an issue for me however. Both cars have been painless to own WRT maintenance and faults.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you've really looked at the sepc then you'll see that they are the same engine.

Ghia and Zetec refer to trim levels and gadgets, not performance.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The X-plate 1.6 Zetec I just bought feels like a sports car compared to a MK4/5 Golf. It's a right hoot to drive on the lanes round here. It changes direction very well, grips well and seems very neutral. The handling really is fantastic for what is essentially a small-mid sized family hatchback. It seems to be doing around 35-38mpg at the moment, but I have been giving it some exercise.

I've driven friends Focii before, and always liked them, but after having one of my own for a while, I'm converted. It's an excellent little car. If you're one of those obsessed by interiors and quality, no, it's not quite as good as the Golf of the same year, but neither is it a heavy lardy overpriced tub ;-p

Reply to
Mike P

Almost but not quite, the Zetec has slightly lower, stiffer suspension. It's the "sporty" one. Where they get that idea from, with just 96BHP, I've no clue..

Reply to
Mike P
[...]

Although the 2.0 with 128bhp is quite lively...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm looking at 02-02 range with about 3 thousand and a bit of need be no more than 500 extra though. I'm in the Bournemouth area. I don't mind travelling a bit but galatic miles :)

After the last few winters the heated screens will be welcomed by me especially with arthritis. After re-reading the spec for the different models I'd say the 1.6 ghia is perfect for me.

Ahhh the golf did feel like a tank and to momentum getting that going was a chore. The MPG for the focus 1.6 ghia seems good, and I have a good driving style, and light right foot so it will be fine.

Sorry to hear about you 1.8 being written off never a nice feelin or memory that. After having the golf for some years it is a solid hatchback, but has many niggly problems, some very costly and parts are not cheap. Going by what I have read, searched ford parts are not to expensive which will also be nice :) I am tempted with the 1.8 I'm going to do a few insurance searched on comparisons sites and see what the difference is as the 1.6/1.8 seem plentiful and similarly priced.

Thanks for all the information it has been very helpful Chris and others.

Reply to
Jacob

So! Has Mrs P had a chance to drive it yet?

Reply to
Ophelia

Chris Whelan wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Wed

18 May 2011 18:40:15:

Not sure how it compares with the Fiesta 1.6 Ghia (08) at 98bhp, but my Fiesta shifts a fair bit with the application of 2nd or 3rd gear.

5.5Krpm in 3rd sees 70mph and makes the heater work brilliantly when leaving work during the winter!

Looking on Parkers I see the MPG is given as 44, currently getting

43.2 according to the trip computer on a 30 mile commute on country roads. It does plummet when I've been stuck behind a tractor for 8 or 9 miles though...

The suspension's fine if you take the right line round a corner, but I know the front tyres are up for replacement in the next couple of thousand miles as the mild drift has started.

Reply to
Mr Guest

Either will be a considerable step up from the golf (mk4?) in terms of handling. You should get better economy too. There are a lot more Zetecs around than Ghias so you might get a better one. The Ghia has a better stereo and a auto wipers, etc. I would go for at least a Zetec Climate so that you get the heated windscreen which is nice in the winter.

(I have a Mk4 Golf and have been test driving Focuses)

Zimmy

Is that number right? How on earth do they manage to stifle a 2.0 to produce just 128bhp???

Reply to
GT
[...]

Think so; I converted it from the 130PS quoted in the original 1998 Focus brochure.

They started with a 1991 design...

To put things in perspective, the 2.0 litre Golf from the same era (as the Focus) is 114bhp.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Pah. My 4.5 litre Rover derived TVR engine produces a massive 285bhp. :o(

But it also turns out > 300 ft/lb of torque.

Reply to
Huge

I thought it was the same as the 136bhp lump in the 2.0 Mondeo?

Reply to
Mike P
[...]

Nope, not according to the data I have. The era we were discussing is '99. That would be Mondeo II, which had the same 128bhp Zetec E as the Focus.

The 2.0 Mk I Mondeo was rated at 136bhp, although it was essentially the same Zetec E lump.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A good reason not to buy either!

Reply to
GT

That's about the same, ~64bhp per litre.

My 1.3 litre rotary produces 196bhp per litre! (given a couple of turbos) but probably uses more fuel to do it. What kind of real world mpg does your TVR get?

Zimmy

Except mine's a 60 y/o design. You think they'd have managed to improve since then, wouldn't you?

I have no idea. I've never measured it. For my 'amusement' cars, my attitude has always been that if you have to ask that question, perhaps it isn't the car for you.

Reply to
Huge

No, really, just don't.

Stripped out rep. special.

I had one for a few months. Hateful heap of shit.

Reply to
SteveH

Points to even older design putting out 148bhp with just 8 valves.

Reply to
SteveH