Golf clutch question

Hi,

Not my car and it is probably a 52 or thereabouts plate car. Diesel I think.

For a clutch replacement, thus to drop the gearbox, does it need to have the inner drive shafts removed from the differential or does it have outer drive shafts.

Only asking because after it had a clutch replaced, I am told, the inner drive shaft flange came off the gearbox etc etc etc.

TIA Charles

Reply to
Charles

The usual VW arrangment is drive flanges with inner CV joints bolted to them, you unbolt the 6 bolts and move the driveshaft out of the way. I've not done it on anything that new though.

I'm not sure what you're asking?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Please clarify for me ... you unbolt the outer from the inner cv joint (or from the flange) but you do not unbolt the flange from the casing?

Cheers C.

Reply to
Charles

Not on the ones I've done, You unbolt the inner CV from the flange with

6 (or 8?) spline-head bolts and swing the driveshaft out of the way, leaving the outer (wheel) end connected. If you remove the flange, oil leaks out, and to remove the flange you have to remove the CV anyway- there's a bolt in the centre, covered by the CV.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

Drive shaft picture.

Just out of interest came across this buying wholesale. Who get the profit?

Rob

Shipping/Warehousing/Importing/distribution/retailing will all add to the cost and take their cut.

If you can buy direct from the factory, import /ship yourself (I'd suggest a minimum order of 500 would be needed) then you may pay only £25 per piece total. Add margins for selling, a little for warranty (what happens if they all fail after a month?) and storage, then you would be hard pushed to sell it yourself at £50. Add in a distributor and retailer, and the price has doubled again, so the 12USD part is now up to £100. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee