Help! Car backfiring after driving through puddle!

After driving through a deep puddle (maybe unrelated) my 93 Peugeot

405 1.6i started juddering and losing power for a few seconds at a time. I carried on, hoping it would clear, but it got worse until it was almost undrivable. After stopping, the engine died and wouldn't start.

The recovery truck driver poked around at the HT leads etc. and decided that it was a knackered carb - being tired and cross, it didn't cross my mind that my engine's injection and presumably doesn't have a carb!!

So now my car's in the recovery yard (it seems to start but idles very lumpily and backfires) and I'm at home at a loss of what to do. Any ideas on what the problem might be would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Hugh) contains these words:

Was the water deep enough to have got some sucked in through the air intake? If so, you mave had sucked some in and bent a valve.

Reply to
Guy King

A big wave landed on my 405 1.6i once, and it backfired and drove like crap, turned out to be soaked leads, cos of the way they are routed one or 2 often get some of the plastic melted off, so they get wet inside.

Reply to
DanTXD

Pull off the distrubutor cap- i'd put money on it that you;ll find it wet inside. Whilst it may not have leaked water in- when they get splashed with cold water they then tend to "sweat" inside (condensation from sudden temp drop) which causes your running problems.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Cheers for the suggestions. The first thing I checked was the leads - bone dry and clean in the ends (I'll try and have a look for melted bits though).

The garage seems to think it might be No. 4 injector - I thought it was a monopoint injection system!!! Now they want to charge me to strip down the head. I don't have a great deal of confidence in the garage it was recovered to. I think it's time to get it towed nearer to home!

Any more suggestions would still be welcome though...

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

I agree. And also water can get past the plug shrouds if there are any. So you'd need to take the plug leads off and thoroughly dry out the plug holes.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

half a can of wd40 over the electrics would probably be a worthwhile investment.

Reply to
jeremy