How do I remove oil stains from my driveway?

Apologies if this is OT, but can anybody recommend a good method or product for removing oil stains from a driveway?

Will I need to hire a water blaster to properly get them off?

TIA, Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Gardiner

What's your drive made out of ? (Persil slurried with hot water & a scrubbing brush works pretty well)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I managed to buy a large aerosol can of driveway oil-stain remover but it was really no more effective than Gunk. Anything such as Gunk or even petrol will clean the oil up - there will invariably be some marks left but they generally vanish after some time with rain-fall. No matter what you use you will need to use a stiff brush to work the solvent into the oil stain.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Cheap coke or pepsi is supposed to work quite well, honest. Try doing a google on some of the car newsgroups and maybe alt.fan.landrover for testimonials.

Reply to
Simon Barr

& gunk & tarmac don't always get on (Well they mix very well but....)
Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have considerable experience in this matter. Particularly after having the driveway block paved and the new (to me) car leaks lhm fluid. The previous car leaked engine oil. Use Pathclear or Gunk, or Wonder Wheels fluid or strong detergent or mild hydrochloric acid or a mix of all. Then scrub with scalding hot water. I have a pressure washer but you shouldn't need to use one after all that work. It will completely clear the heavy deposits but you'll always be able to see the marks. Doh! When I cure the hydraulic fluid leak I will lift and turn the blocks over. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

Forgot to mention Swarfega-that's pretty good too. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

I work in a DIY/Hardware store

Gunk, and other pathcleaning stuff....*cough*s**te*cough*

Dishwasher powder, fantastic

Reply to
Tom Burton

use a pressure washer it will remove the majority of the marks the stains will need something like Persil or fairy mixed in and left overnight to clear up does wonders for my concrete though :)

Reply to
dojj

He's right. It's caustic not acidic. Very good, it will shift the deep oil gunge but like the others, will not shift the stains. Nothing (other than grinding down two inches) will return the surface to the way it was new. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

Forgot to say, make it into a paste and leave it overnight

Reply to
Tom Burton

Actually Dave, my drive is block-paved and I do find that the stains fade after a time. I wouldn't go messing about lifting blocks until you see how it goes. It will also be very difficult to lift a block from the middle of a driveway I should imagine! As you say, pressure washers are certainly not the answer on block-paved drives - apart from washing all the fine sand out from between the blocks you get one hell of a messy splashback everywhere!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Apparently, you can get a thing that looks like a set of salad tongs (designed by Heath Robinson) that slides down the sides of the blocks, that allow you to pull individual blocks out, even in the middle of an area.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

That's useful to know!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I think I saw it in a Wickes catalogue, but I can't find any reference on the net for such a device.

I could have been imagining it I suppose :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith