Mondeo Camshaft Belt Change

I bought a '98 Mondeo which is now at 46,000 miles . I see from the Haynes manual that the belt is due for changing at 80,000 miles . Any thoughts on whether it should be changed earlier . How much does this usually cost to do . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I'd have it done ASAP - I don't usually let a belt go for more than about 36k miles before changing it, regardless of what the manufacturer says.

Don't know about the Mondeo specifics - but belt changes are usually cheap - certainly a lot cheaper than a top-end rebuild.

Reply to
SteveH

Even if the engine is "non-interference" I would change the belt so you know how long it has to go for sure. Having said that, I ran my Volvo740 with the B230 engine for 200,000 miles until I scrapped it for rust reasons on the same belt. I kept a spare one just in case. If you have an interference engine - I would be more cautious - not wanting to break valves and pistons.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

'Fraid you'll have to explain what "interference" and " non-interference" are .:-). Its a 1.8 Zetec engine if that means anything . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

It means that the valves will hit the pistons if your belt snaps. This is expensive, and does, ISTR, happen with a Zetec (and most other modern) engines.

Reply to
SteveH

98 Mondeo is now heading for 5+ years old, so the belt will need doing as part of the "5 year" service.

Parts wise, ISTR I paid 80quid + VAT for the "proper" Ford OEM Belt Kit. all the tensioners, pulleys, belts, whatever, plus an hour or so to fit it.

Vastly cheaper than having the engine go pop!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

see from the

. Any thoughts

more than

manufacturer

are usually

an Alfa Romeo'

#2 - YTC #

belt so you know

Volvo740 with the

reasons on the

interference

valves and pistons.

non-interference"

An 'non-interference' engine is one in which there is clearance between pistons and valves, even when a valve is fully open, and the piston is at the top of it's stroke, so, even if the camshaft is stationary because the cambelt breaks, in theory, no damage is caused.

There is no similar clearance in an 'interference' engine. At different times in a cylinder, both the piston and valves occupy the same space. I,e. A valve/s closes as a piston rises, or opens as it falls so there's no contact. Meaning that if the camshaft stops, with the engine running, any open valve/s gets clobbered by it's piston.

I don't know which category the Zetec is in. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Had mine done recently. Ford main dealer £240 (just belt, tensioner if required £60 extra) not inc. VAT. Local mech £80 all in (just belt, no tensioner) including changing auxillary belt at same time. Funnily enough main dealer was half the price of the local guy for a full service. Pays to shop around!

Reply to
Kay

done their was they told me they have to drop the subframe and it has to re-aligned again,if it's not spot on it wears the edge of the tyres,plus i got a 2yr warranty that covered any ford garage in the country if it went bang due to the timing belt.

Many Regards

Simon

Reply to
simon

the subframe is taken out for the clutch change, not the cam belt change.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

However you will loose several layers of skin off your knuckles doing a cam belt on the Zetec engine. Not alot of room against the inner wing- and you will need to support the engine under the sump so you can remove the mounting on the belt end of the engine.

Always replace the tensioner when you do the belt- Ford do a kit for ~£60 its not worth the risk leaving it for another 80k miles.

I would do the belt at 60k on the safe side, the Zetec E engine is interference, that said however they dont have a history of snapped belts at all. The bearings in the tensioner go first- although they give warning of a screetching noise at cold start. You are then on severely borrowed time before disaster occurs.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

In message , Kay writes

The dealer quote seems expensive. According to the website of a Ford dealer near me, they charge £140 inclusive for a cambelt change on a Mondeo. Still, your £80 charge seems good value.

Paul Giverin

simon

Reply to
simon