MOT & Driving Lights

I have a Peugeot 205 with the GTI style front spolier, fitted with driving lights that would normally operate when the main beam is on. I have not wired in the lights yet, but was wondering - will it fail the MOT as they are fitted but not operational??????????

Thanks in advance,

Ed.

Reply to
PJAE

They don't constitute "statutory lights" and are not testable.

Reply to
PJML

Its these:

They are driving lights and fitted as standard on all GTI's and XS's ????

Reply to
PJAE

Give you a clue, it's not 5 or 21W.

Reply to
Conor

fitted with driving

I have not

the MOT as they

I don't know for sure, but I thaught there was a statutory minimum hight for headlights. 16" from the ground rings a bell, which AFAIK is why fog lights are illegal to use in normal conditions. Sounds like your 'driving lights' would be below that limit. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Grunff mumbled:

Don't think so. Everyone I know says Sidelights>Dip>Main

Reply to
Guy King

Says who. This should start another lengthy and probably fruitless discussion.

Bob

Bob McKay

I am reasonably certain that any lights fitted should work, however this is not the same as the MoT requirements, which is the actual question.

Certainly MoT stations do not check auxiliary front driving lamps or fog lamps, even when they are original equipment. Yet I am fairly certain that any lamps fitted should work in order to be legal when the car is in use.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Don't think so. Main beam and high beam are the same - but only the one name for dip.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Then there are those of us who have older cars with Dim/Dip lights too...

:-)

David.

Reply to
David Linley

Or sidelights>dip>normal? I guess it depends where you drive, but most of the time I have my headlights on they're on normal = high/main setting.

Country lanes, y'see - buggerall else about except the local foxes & badgers. Badgers can be hard to see at night.

Reply to
PJML

Main beam is high beam.

Reply to
Conor

"David Linley" wrote in news:bgd5rl$hf9$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor

Ivor mumbled:

Possibly post 88, but then they stopped 'em again after only a few years. Our E-reg Maestro had 'em, but my K-reg doesn't.

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
PJAE

I think it was October 1986.

Are you sure about this ? I thought they were an EU law that is still in force today.

Reply to
The Technical Manager

Dim-dip lights were a bit of a fad in the late 80s/early 90s. They'd gone by '92, roughly the same time as when headlamp adjustment came in.

Reply to
Scott M