NEW Corsa 1.2i SXi 3 dr CAMBELT GONE AFTER 10 MONTHS - NOT covered under warranty!!!!!!

Hi, I have a Corsa 3door 1.2i SXi and the camblet has gone at 11,000 miles - the car was BRAND NEW and the Vauxhall dealer is saying the engine is not covered under warranty as they have plugged in the computer to the car and they accuse me of over-revving the engine and therefore its out of warranty.

Can there computer tell them this? Or are they just using this as an excuse?

I have never over-revved the car and the reason I bought it brand new with the warranty was to give me trouble free motoring. Now they are telling me a new engine is =A33500 and its not covered under warranty.

Any ideas? Ay help? Anyone else been fobbed off the same way?

Reply to
simon

Can there computer tell them this? Or are they just using this as an excuse?

I have never over-revved the car and the reason I bought it brand new with the warranty was to give me trouble free motoring. Now they are telling me a new engine is £3500 and its not covered under warranty.

< Any ideas? Ay help? Anyone else been fobbed off the same way?

what the f*ck , 11,000 miles !!!! id be kicking some arse, you'd have to be seriously over revving the car for that sort of damage to happen. id want some proof of what they are saying as well as contacting customer service.

Reply to
reg

I thought most cars these days wouldn't allow you to 'over-rev' anyway? My Avensis 2.0 certainly won't allow me to go beyond the red-line.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

mention citizens Advice and also negative publicity e.g. letter to free local papers, phone local radio etc eetc

Can there computer tell them this? Or are they just using this as an excuse?

I have never over-revved the car and the reason I bought it brand new with the warranty was to give me trouble free motoring. Now they are telling me a new engine is £3500 and its not covered under warranty.

Any ideas? Ay help? Anyone else been fobbed off the same way?

Reply to
Odorf

Can there computer tell them this? Or are they just using this as an excuse?

I have never over-revved the car and the reason I bought it brand new with the warranty was to give me trouble free motoring. Now they are telling me a new engine is £3500 and its not covered under warranty.

Any ideas? Ay help? Anyone else been fobbed off the same way?

Ask them for a print-out of what the computer told them.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Spoken like a man who has never engaged 1st gear at 70mph.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The message from snipped-for-privacy@worsleysworld.com contains these words:

You'd have to rev it fairly hard to get it to move at all!

Reply to
Guy King

Are you suggesting that you have tried this? There's always ways to circumvent any kind of protection be it a car or a washing machine. I would expect the OP to have a modicum of sense and not attempt first gear at

70mph.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

First off, get the handbook and see if the manual tells you about the engine speed limiter. If it does and it says it prevents you from over-revving, wave that at them.

If not, well, the engine speed limiter is designed to prevent damage. That's what it's there for.

Many ECUs do log hitting the limiter.

Either case, they're lying, in my opinion: Vauxhall engines are bullet proof in this respect. Talk to the service manager, tell him you're talking to Vauxhall customer services. Talk to them. Tell them you're contacting trading standards. Talk to trading standards...

Things shouldn't get this far.

Reply to
DervMan

Shows as "engine overspeed," come to think of it, which probably isn't the same as "engine limiter reached."

Reply to
DervMan

Not helpful..?

Great* engine in need of a better home.

*In that they're bullet proof, except, heh the cam belt...
Reply to
DervMan

Thinking aloud for a moment, the rev limiter is only effective insofar that it can cut the fuel. However it's not going to have any effect if whilst flying along the motorway you were to accidentally engage too low a gear (say, to overtake).

Sure, anyone with sense is not going to do this but that's besides the point. I'm just thinking that's it's possible to overrev an engine whether it's got a rev limiter or not.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

If you have a powerful RWD car with not so strong engine/transmission mounts it's possible for the gearbox to move during hard acceleration so that incorrect gearchanges are made. Not so much on a FWD Corsa but I would perhaps suggest that maybe a lot of Corsa drivers don't really know how to drive [heads for the exit]

How about getting the computer reset?

Reply to
adder1969

I would contact Vauxhall CS as previously mentioned & maybe even take it to another garage who know what they're talking about.

I had a similar problem with my Ford Galaxy PD TDi when at 15,000miles the turbo failed on the motorway resulting in it depositing the contents of the engine oil out through the exhaust thus wrecking the engine & cat/exhaust system.

The local dealer wouldn't entertain the repair under warranty as the engine had no oil stating that was the cause of the problem.

Got the AA to take the car back to my local Ford Dealer whom I purchased it from & the job was done under warranty which cost Ford the best part of £9500

Reply to
A C

Yes it can tell if its been over-revved and it will flag a permanent error. You may not have over-revved it but someone delivering it might have. Either way they dont know if you have been drivnig it like a nut so you can see their point. I feel for you though, im sure they'll come to a deal.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Yes it can tell if its been over-revved and it will flag a permanent error. You may not have over-revved it but someone delivering it might have. Either way they dont know if you have been drivnig it like a nut so you can see their point. I feel for you though, im sure they'll come to a deal.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

You're right, it can be done... but to change into second at 70 or so takes considerable force and the original poster says that the engine has not been over-revved...

Reply to
DervMan

It'll produce a fault code, which can be deleted...

Reply to
DervMan

Depends if it is stored in normal fault code area NVRAM or if they are using an un-used and unspecified memory location that normal tester units cant see or reset - very simple to do.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Even with the clutch down? Fair enough, I'll take your word for it.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton