Corsa Cambelt Replacement

Hi,

My 2000 Corsa 1.6 16v has almost covered 40k miles and im told this is the time for a new cambelt. Im going to be doing the replacment myself but could am not sure on a couple of things.

1) The cambelt Kit ive been offered has plastic rollers, are these as good as the metal ones?

2) The kit is made my "conti....." , are these good quality?

3) Should the waterpump be replaced at the same time?

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

Hey

No, plastic is bad. Just make sure they're replaced next time round too.

Never heard of.

Yup. On a lot of Vauxhalls, it's the pump siezing, not the belt failing, that causes most cam belt related disasters.

No bother.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Get the belt kit from autovaux.co.uk . You should use the metal tensioners as the plastic ones are the root of the problem!

Water pump is likely to be ok at 40k, but check it very carefully, and if you are in any doubt at all, replace it.

A thrown or broken belt on the Ecotec engine lunches it completely, so its your choice.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for the help,

I think the belt was a "Contitech" but if plastic rollers are no good then its a no-go anyhow.

Ive found the kit on autovaux

AVEC177 Timing Belt Kit =A374.95 (plus VAT and delivery) Will mail them for details on the rollers.

Seems about right as there is one on ebay from a supposed vauxhall dealership.

Vauxhall Derby want =A397.88 inc vat but were unable to tell me if the kit had metal or plastic rollers.

Apart from obvious leaks from waterpump is it just a case of checking that it feels smooth and free?

Reply to
Kirky

Regarding Vauxhall dealers, I'd shop around if you can. Last December I had the belt changed on my T reg Astra (only 8 valve - whether that makes any difference I don't know.) Prices including fitting ranged from £75.00 to £95.00 from dealers in the North East.

My local Nationwide Autocentre quoted £90.00 at the time, saying that they'd have to order the parts from Vauxhall.

Worth bearing in mind.

Steven

I think the belt was a "Contitech" but if plastic rollers are no good then its a no-go anyhow.

Ive found the kit on autovaux

AVEC177 Timing Belt Kit £74.95 (plus VAT and delivery) Will mail them for details on the rollers.

Seems about right as there is one on ebay from a supposed vauxhall dealership.

Vauxhall Derby want £97.88 inc vat but were unable to tell me if the kit had metal or plastic rollers.

Apart from obvious leaks from waterpump is it just a case of checking that it feels smooth and free?

Reply to
Steven Thompson