Nissan almera stalling

Had my Nissan almera in at a main dealer for some body work repair. When the car was returned to me I immediately noticed a problem with the car stalling when at low revs (at lights etc.). When back to the dealer and was told that there was a problem with the IAC valve /motor and I would need a replacement. The part costs about £300.00 and the garage has said they would fit it for free. Any ideas/comments? Thanks

Reply to
Gerry Jones

IAC valve?

Hrm... that's the one that regulates idle... Idle Air Compensating valve right? probably adjusted by a friendly mechanic there during your last visit...

eg, I had some assorted issues with my car, and one of the things they looked at was the IAC valve that they said was out of range, and did some tests and adjusted some settings on the computer. Only problem was, when it got cold, the car kept stalling. So I readjusted the settings myself as per Haynes manual, I found that they didn't adjust the thing properly... Or maybe were hoping for me to return and pay them another sweaty wadge of money.

Can't remember exactly what happened, I think they tested a couple of things, and failed to set it back.

But my Nissan dealer, I had a problem with some jerking around while driving. They said it was the TPS. Despite the fact I had no engine warning light! They changed the TPS. the gearbox kept jumping out of automatic lock up. The dealer was adamant that's how all automatic nissan gearboxes behave.

Bollox I though and went to another dealer who said the replacement TPS just isn't adjusted properly - and I got them to write me a letter to the effect that it wasn't. They readjusted for me, but said they couldn't take it all the way as it only goes so far.

When I looked closer at home, turns out there were two screws which the second dealer failed to spot the bottom one when adjusting the TPS. So I set it correctly myself. The TPS didn't fix the problem. I have doubts whether it was a problem at all. then they also quoted me for 10 litres of ATF fluid when the car only holds 7.

So moral of the story? Never trust a Nissan dealer. I've had a couple of good things with I think Westway Nissan in Coventry. Get someone else to check the IAC valve for you and if it's badly adjusted, get a letter in writing.

Or better yet, just adjust it yourself from the Haynes manual. That's providing there isn't a problem with it. But I think it's a bit too coincidental.

Reply to
Simon Dean

Thanks for the advice. I think I need to get myself a Haynes manual.

Reply to
Gerry Jones