Re: botched up shocks renewal

hi there,

> i just changed the front shocks on my 1982 escort as one was leaking > oil.problem is that they are much more noisier that my old ones when > hitting potholes etc. > > on large bumps it an additional sounds is made, like something is > loose. > > the new shocks are Monroes of the macpherson type. each attaches to > the car body via two nuts at the top.A bolt in a clamp holds strut to > the hub assembly. > > as far as i know i followed the haynes instructions and nothing looks > loose.took care to fit the springs with ends correctly in their grove. > cant understand where that type of sound is being generated. > > anyone have any ideas where i could have botched this up? >

Check the springs are sat in the spring seats properly. The ends of the coils fit in a groove. Make sure that the very end of the spring is butted up to the "stop" in the groove.

Reply to
Conor

looks

grove.

Were these strut insert type? If so then the insert may be moving in the leg. Or the main nut at the very top may be loose. I assume you removed all the spring clamps?

Obviously something is loose, (probably something you disturbed) so be careful till you find it.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I take it Monroes are the makers? Why not get Ford ones, I looked up the prices for mine a while ago, ISTR it being about £30 for the rear set and £40ish for the front?

Reply to
Doki

Sounds like you've got it sorted. Another problem can come if you tighten the nuts too much. This will squash the rubber washer and it will disintegrate before long.

Reply to
David