Re: Can't find 4th or reverse gear

Hi All,

> Our Ford Mondeo's gear box has recently gone shonky, we are now not able > to find either 4th or reverse gear. Would anyone know what the likelihood of > this failure is? Would it mean a new gear box or is it just a case of the > gear box come loose in some way and needs to be put back in its bracket? We > really can do without it being the need for a new gear box. Any > hints/suggestions would be much appreciated

Linkage??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim, Thanks for the reply but my car knowledge doesn't extend much further than where the fuel goes... the linkage at which point? (stick to box or box to engine?) Would you know what kind of costs it would be if this were the case?

Thanks Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Abbey

Hi, um, I'm a different Tim but I think he meant Stick - box.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

I'd say it would be very easy to tell if it's the gearbox or the linkage. If the linkage has broken, the gearlever will feel very different when you try and engage the faulty gears. But why not simply take it to a few garages for quotes? It's unlikely they'll all rip you off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Cheers Dave, we would say the gear lever is very different, it's lose and rattles like mad when in one of the other gears. Do garages not charge for quotes then?

Reply to
Ryan Abbey

You definately have a linkage problem. Sound like at least one of the bias springs has broken for starters..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Cheers Tim, is this something that is expensive? Would we be talking around £100 or more in the region of 300-400?

Thanks again Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Abbey

Independant who knows what their doing- £100 or so. Obviously without looking at the car we can't be sure what exactly is not right with it. And Mondeo gear levers almost never give trouble so makes guessing even harder!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..