Rover620-Aircon

Got a strange problem here,went to put on the aircon today and nothing, Checked fuses even had the gas checked and all fine, Put a permanant live to the aircon- pump and the clutch engaged so assume pump is ok,just strange how it's just died as it worked fine yesterday. Switch lights up green but nothing engages when fan speed switch is put on, Any ideas. Rover 620petrol.

Thanks

Reply to
simondo

How do you know the gas is fine? If the pressure is too low the compressor won't engage.

The evaporator thermostat may have failed - it monitors the evaporator temperature (inside the car heater box usually) and if it gets *too cold* switches off the compressor to allow it to warm up to prevent it icing up. It may have failed in a "too cold" state or have an electrical problem. Follow the wiring back from the compressor and check every relay and switch to confirm they are working OK.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
simondo

An a/c charging machine is not capable of telling you its "full and no leaks'!!

Either you vac out and weigh what you have an compare to the sticker on the car, OR you measure high and low pressure ports with the gauges and look on a chart (which factors in ambient temp). The latter is only any good on an at least partly working system.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Correct.

Yup. A system with only one tenth of the correct gas charge will still show about the right static pressure on a guage. Only this week I worked on a Passat with this problem. After a Vac and charge with the correct quantity of gas it is now working fine again.

Reply to
Alan

Alan, out of curiosity, how long do you tend to vac an average system for? My instructions say about 15mins, but I hear upwards of 40mins is better practice (with a standard type vac pump)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim, usually about 15 minutes, but my guages sit at the same place and don't move any further after a couple of minutes so I'm not convinced the extra time does anything worthwhile!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

The last place I went to left it for an hour. There guages didn't do much after 15 minutes either.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong