stag exhaust manifold

Hi

Have been under my Stag at the weekend to replace the offside maniflold to front pipe gasket. When I tightened the three nuts back up only one of them grabbed properly the other two just keep getting loose everytime I get them slightly tight. Have tried new nuts and putting washers on the bolts but with same result. My question is how long would you expect the gasket to last with only one nut tight, there's no blowing as yet, a few thousand miles??Also how difficult a job is removing the manifold and replacing the original bolts on the manifold? I've searched this and someone suggested it's a long job in which case I'd sooner just keep replacing the gasket as I only do 2000 miles a year. It's the original 2997 engine.

Thanks to any replies

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue

Removing the manifold isn't too difficult with the correct tools. But the parts you're having trouble with are studs going into a cast iron manifold and *might* be a pig to remove. New ones are cheap, though. If you were lucky they could be replaced without removing the manifold as you've obviously got the exhaust off if replacing the gasket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They always come out if you heat them cherry red first, arc welder or blowtorch will suffice.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I presume there isn't enough thread protruding on the flange to whack a nut on (ooh err)?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

You may be able to recut the thread on the stud with the manifold in place by using a size smaller die nut and then use the corresponding nut (I have some that fit into a socket rather than using a die holder)

The problem with taking off manifolds is that there is a good chance of snapping off the studs into the head. When my mechanic recently did my 98 Volvo manifold gaskets he broke 3 studs

Tony

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll try to redo threads first.

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue

The Stag uses bolts into the ally head. If the correct sealer has been used they shouldn't seize. Of course not many do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)