Price advice for Stag please

Anyone know roughly how much a 1975 Triumph Stag convertible would be worth?

It has the Triumph V8 engine and an auto box. New cills, floor, exhaust, tyres, steering rack, brakes

11 months MOT

Any things I should be looking for when viewing?

Many thanks. Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Might be able to find a triumph owbers club web site?

Reply to
R. Murphy

Or try the Stag Owners Club

R. Murphy

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Kalico

PC says approx between 2-8 grand.

Apart from all the usual stuff? Of which just about every fault known to man is possible on a Stag? I'd say check the hood works smoothly - a new frame is nigh on a grand. And they're often damaged.

I'm slightly surprised it has a new floor - it usually tends to last rather better than the outer panels.

PC have 'done' the Stag a few times. Might be worth contacting them for a back issue. And, of course, the owners club. It's the sort of car where an expert can suss it out easily, but can fool the unwary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hmm! Think I might give it a wide berth. Got stung like that with an old MGB once, but then hasn't everyone?

They are asking £4000 for it with a private reg worth about £1000 which seemed reasonable to me.

Thanks for the advice though. Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Me being a sceptic, I wouldn't pay a higher price on a car just because the nuber plate is worth so much. If it's worth that, tell the seller to transfer it off and drop the price!

Reply to
Phil Howard

Talking of Triumphs....and rather off topic...

Saw a Spitire IV the other day. Painted with purple emulsion, with a green spoiler "fitted" to the boot. 'Cos of the slope of the boot lid...the spoiler had a positive angle of attack.

Now, I s'pose it's possible that the local airflow is sufficiently downwards to give a negative relative angle of attack...but it didn't harf look stupid.

Reply to
Guy King

Don't want to put you off a Stag - they're great cars when they're 'right'. My brother has one.

I'd ignore the registration number issue, as what people say they're worth is rarely the price you can sell them for. And since it's not the original number you could ask for the price to be reduced by that 1000 quid and you get a age related one.

3000 is in the cracks for a Stag. It really depends on how well the body repairs have been carried out. I'd definitively get pro help to check it before buying.

It's *only* guessed. Cars of this price could be anything. The market for Stags has softened a lot recently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks for that advice. It was just that it sounded cheap since I know someone selling one that I know is absolutely mint and they indicated it might be worth £12k. Sounded high to me as my impression of Stags until now has been one of unreliability.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

A concours one *might* make that sort of money to someone who really wanted it, but what most describe as mint will be about half that. I saw a very nice one recently - say in about the condition of a well kept 2 year old - that didn't sell at 7 grand. It wasn't the best of colours - maroon with tan interior and an auto, but had a perfect hardtop.

They definitely need careful maintance and repair. But are very rewarding cars to own and drive. But to improve one bought for 3 grand into a concours winner would take a lot more money than the difference in price - like virtually every old car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman