Strange Rover 214 overheating problem

Got into my Rover this morning and started it up. Got over it's usual initial lumpiness and settled down to a fast idle while I scraped the ice from the windows. The car ran for approximately ten to fifteen minutes and I was ready to go when I noticed the windscreen wasn't clearing and that the heater was blowing cold air. I then also noticed the temp gauge only a couple of mil from the top of the scale so I switched off sharpish and took my other car to work.

I did not hear the cooling fan, which has worked in the past. I also find it really weird as the car had just run approx 75 miles on Tuesday on and off without a hitch and with a warm heater. I also checked the water level on the Tuesday evening and it appeared normal although there was a lot of "glug, glug" noises as I freed the pressure cap on the expansion tank.

I know without having checked water levels and things it doesn't make diagnosis easy, but does anyone have a clue?

Reply to
gazzafield

Sounds like the water in the radiator may have frozen overnight. Do you have the correct amount of antifreeze in there?

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

There should be. The head gasket was done only recently and the water was blue.

Reply to
gazzafield

I've always found that mine was a pain to fill without airlocking, but if the heater blows hot it's not that.

All I can think of is the thermostat but they are a pain to get to.

Reply to
Chris Street

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko...

Head gasket again. Sorry.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In news:nV2ff.10114$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, mrcheerful . decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

*Ding*...

Yup, that'll be another Rover down the scrap yard.

Reply to
Pete M