Vauxhall Astra LS 1.4 16V Starts to judder around 2500 rpm

I recently bought a V reg (1999) Astra, its great, drives well. There is however a small problem, every now and again when cruising at a set speed (usually around 30-40) the car starts to judder and bounce, if you put the acceleration down abit further the juddering stops and everything is back to normal again.

Its quite hard to describe but it usually happens at a steady speed, the juddering starts off only slightly and if u dont move the pedle will increase until its quite violent, its getting quite annoying. I have taken it for a diagnostic check which says one of the sensors on my front side ABS has gone, could this cause the problem?

Reply to
nthorpe

Sorry i forgot to mention i have just taken it into a garage to get it serviced, i thought maybe this may solve the problem, it is not the plugs or the HT leads as i have check these

Reply to
nthorpe

EGR valve.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Ive been told now that it could be the EGR valve, tracking, fuel filter or the fuel injection... getting abit confused now

Reply to
nthorpe

The EGR valve is a common fault, and gives those symptoms (like the engines hunting when cruising on light throttle).

Fuel filter would most likely cause lack of power on wide throttle openings. Fuel Injection is a possibility, but would most likely show other symptoms. Tracking (I'm guessing the spark plug kind) would be most noticeable when first started, and would be more akin to a slight misfire.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

EGR valve sticking open. Very common.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

how much am i looking at to get it replaced?

Reply to
nthorpe

£41 for the part from these guys
I used them recently for a coil pack for my Astra and could not fault the service. Not a hard job to fit the EGR either.

HTH D

Reply to
Demon

How do i find out what model of astra i have, and could anyone tell me where abouts the egr valve is located, thanks in advance

Reply to
nthorpe