97 oil press. gauge

I know that the oil pressure gauge is a fake and is in reality just an analog idiot light, but how can it still read normal oil pressure with the sender unit wire disconnected from the sender unit? If the sender unit grounds the wire with normal a oil pressure condition, then a disconnected sender unit will not ground and shouldn't the "gauge" then read zero oil pressure? Mine is totally unaffected by disconnecting the sender wire, still reads the same normal prss. with or with out the sender unit were attached. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
mcola

The sending unit connects the wire to ground when the pressure is below it's setting (< 10 psi I believe), so disconnected is the same as connected if the engine's running. Ground the wire and the gauge reading should be zero.

Reply to
Cliff Knight

Reply to
mcola

Sure you would, if the sender failed (I.e. failed to detect oil pressure and open the switch), or if the wiring circuit opened, you'd see "oil pressure" with the key on/engine off...

-cliff-

Reply to
Cliff Knight