Brakes wearing wedge shape

Hello ... Just discovered this group. I own a 1990 Miata, purchased Feb

  1. I've put 150,000 km on it so far without a problem. ....Except... I've had to get the rear brake pads replaced 3 times due to their wearing wedge shaped. ...One end of the pad would be full thickness; the other end would wear right down to the metal. ...This condition only takes place on the rear brakes, but with both sides (Ie: on both wheels) the wear is identical. ....The area service mechanic came up with the brilliant idea that I was driving around holding the emergency brake on ??!! ...Geez, I'm a little past that stage (if some kooky individuals actually go through that)...Heck I even purchased my Miata with an auto. Trans. ...Any help would be appreciated. ...They said there was nothing wrong with the emergency brake adjustment, plus I've never been an aggressive braker. ...Thanks Jon
Reply to
Johnny1000

I pulled my wheels several years ago when my '91 B had 80,000 miles on it, figuring that with the mileage, it would need brake shoes. I found the front pads with about 3mm uniform thickness, but the back pads were worn down to the metal on the bottom edge, with about 3mm thickness on the top edge. I thought it rather odd, but did notice the rear pads did not have the spring clips installed like the front brakes (I had bought the car new in '91, and knew no one had touched the brakes). I installed new pads on front and rear, and installed the spring clips provided with the pads. I suspected the lack of clips on the rear pads caused the uneven wear, but I have not checked my pads since then. Did your pads have the clips installed? Rod

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net...

Reply to
rod

I second the spring clip theory. Go to page 6 of my site here and note the position of the spring clip:

wueys

Sorry, Rod... Couldn't tell you about the clips. ...I took my Miata to the shop assuming the "trained" Mazda mechanic knew what he was doing. ..They kept harping about lubricating and thus keeping the emergency brake operational. They felt this was where the problem lay. ---I never use it, as the winters here can be long and cold. I've heard horror stories from those who have.

Ironically, I took my Miata for new tires a few months ago. I figured it's probably time to change the pads -- again. ...He said they were fine. Perhaps the clips were the problem, but the dealarship didn't want to admit to the previous screw-ups. They just quietly slipped the springs in. ...Jon

Reply to
Johnny1000

That may be possible, avoiding admitting any guilt!

I don't think that the hand brake holds the pads tight to the disk unevenly anyway, do they?

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo