lag on acceleration

Hi all,

I have a '90 BRG 1.6 V-Spec that I absolutely love to bits, but it has an irritating lag when accelerating...and it often pours out smoke from the exhaust when I put my foot down...but it then seems to 'clear' itself, or 'release' after about 4000rpm, and it then feels like the sporty car it should do!

There is also a vibrating buzz or 'ring' when accelerating hard, and on tickover at cold it often has a rhythmic squeak (which my better half tells me is proabably a belt squeaking) but sometimes the squeak is there, sometimes there is no noise at all. No difference between a warm engine and a cold one, either.

Any ideas what it can be/how I can get rid of this lag?

We have removed the cat, changed the air filter, new sparks, HT leads, checked timing and belts, changed oil/filter, changed O2 sensor, and checked the ECU but no errors...

All kind advice much appreciated!!!

Reply to
Jo

What color smoke? Blue smoke is oil (worn valve seals or piston rings), white smoke is coolant (leaking head gasket).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks for reply - it's white/grey smoke, but its not losing coolant, and gasket was done not long ago... could it be condensation? It smokes mainly on startup, but also when I press the accelerator hard...

It is getting through a lot of oil, however...!!

Reply to
Jo