NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Threaded View

Hi Guys, I've  a 2005 NC Limited Edition.
Just recently I've noticed that after a hearty wash, that I have a
puddle of water in the *trunk*.
Never seemed to happen before when washing on the same gentle slope
facing uphill so wondering if there may be some drain blocked around
the soft top, or if a seal between top and body has opened up?
Any ideas appreciated before I start pulling things apart to have a
look.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Re: NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Miata soft tops have drains on each side of the car in the top well. They
may be clogged if you get a lot of crud etc from trees and so forth, and the
car is parked outside.
Or, the nose up angle allows water to collect in the well, instead of going
out through the drains. In eather case, when the car is again on level
ground, and the drains cannot take the water fast enough, you may end up
with a squishy carpet.

Re: NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

I've found that a single tine from a large metal leaf rake is
exactly the right shape and length to clear those drains from the
top.  Clearing from the bottom can lead to a faceful of *nasty*
slime/water/leaf mold.

With the top down, look behind the seat belt tower, towards the
front of the area toward the door.  The drain is down in there.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Re: NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Washing the car this morning so I'll try that first and see how we go.
I'm surprised that the drains could be blocked as the car is always
garaged and would not have often spent any time sitting under trees?

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Re: NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Anything that starts on the roof, or on the back window, ends up
in the drain eventually. Right now all of the maple trees are
blooming and all that little red crap (pollen and such) gets on
everyone's cars.  Add in a nice soaking rain and there's bound to
be red crap in the drains.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Re: NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

I have a 2006 NC, that I have owned about a year, and when it rains hard
the trunk and passenger side floorboard floods. I bought the drain brush
and cleaned out the drains thinking this was the problem. It rained hard
again the other day and flooded once more. The drains holes are clean,
but there is a rubber flap at the very bottom of the drain hole under
the car that is getting stuck and not opening when the drain fills up. I
need to get under the car and figure out why it is not opening, but that
may be the same problem you are having.

Re: NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Maybe, I did clear the drains and watched very carefullu as virtually
no dirt or other debris came out. I gently flushed both and still no
debris.
Washed the car and had no problem but if it happens again, I will look
at the flaps to see if they are stuck.
Thanks!

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.