R&T Tire Test

Road & Track did a test of 5 17" tires on a new Miata..

Michelin Pilot Preceda Bridgestone Potenza Pirelli P Zero Nero Bridgestone Potenza Kumho Ecsta V710

See it here:

&article_idB28 Would've liked to see the Toyo's in that group.. and having 14"ers in my

94, I'd like to see some smaller ones tested, but it's still nice to see them do some tests on a Miata.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

That's not gonna happen when Tire Rack is running the test. They don't sell Toyos, except for a handful of OEM models.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote in news:lanny- snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

True, forgot about that. Well, at least a few more competing tires then.. None of the tires were in the same class. Hmm, I'm in a negative mood. :)

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

That wasn't the point of the article--it was just to show the differences between completely different types of tires, and the Miata just happened to be the test vehicle.

Reply to
tooloud

The article does not seem to offer evidence that Tire Rack is "running the test."

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I am not sure whether they would hold up at that level. The evidence I have seen for them is mainly anecdotal. Maybe someone here has more solid data.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Tire Rack provided the track, the tires, the labor, and the instrumentation. I don't believe the article mentioned who provided the Miata, but I doubt it was a R&T staffer's personal car. All R&T did was drive the car, while Tire Rack collected the data. I suspect Tire Rack is also R&T's biggest advertiser, based on the number of pages per issue. What's your point, Leon?

I like Tire Rack, BTW, and have spent serious money there. But whenever a magazine does tire tests, Tire Rack seems to be in it up to their eyeballs. Remember the First Family Album? "It's my ball, we play by my rules."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

snip: Remember the First Family Album? "It's my ball, we play by my rules."

You lost me on this part, fill me in please.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Wikipedia is your friend:

Lanny Chambers

Oops, now you've dated yourself ;-) Pretty interesting actually, you can get cd copies of that record selling ..........record from back in 62 or 63 I think it was. I listened to some excerpts, very funny stuff.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I've got that on vinyl around here - somewhere.......

Iva (the old) & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

I beta tested dirt. Lemme tell ya, it was tough being a sports car nut before wheels were invented.

It was even funnier before JFK was murdered. Every skit was based on some famous Kennedy quote or news item. JFK was the first American public figure to be treated like a rock star. Remember, this was long before People Magazine and all the copycat TV shows.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I was going to come at ya with a "horseless carriage" comment, but it is lame and has been used before. Beta testing dirt is much better.

See, you beat me even before I entered the fray. There must be something to old age and treachery over youth after all, not that I am really young anymore......

Pat

Reply to
pws

You bet yer iPod, sonny.

Next topic: someone tell me why I shouldn't buy a Mazda3 5-door Sport to replace our '85 Accord, which despite its sterling record is getting a little old to be trusted on cross-country trips. The only problem I can see is that the 3 is selling so well you can't get much of a discount. Any good (or bad) stories?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote in news:lanny- snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

Only reason I could come up with is that the Mazda 5 is only a bit more expensive and has much more interior room. Of course, I've got 2 kids, and that's why _I_ wouldn't buy a 3.. I assume you're priorities are different. I looked at the 3 for a while just before the 5 came out and really liked it, especially the hatchback model. It looks good, has ample power, drives like.. well.. a Mazda, what's not to like (aside from the fixed roof)?

Oh, and of course one downside may be the required financial outlay vs the potential outlay of maintaining a car born over 2 decades ago :)

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Yes, I considered that, but... The Mazda5 is 600 lb heaver, with all that implies: slower, doesn't handle as well, and gets 8 mpg less. It could be hard to find one with a manual transmission, too. We need a hatch, not a minivan.

I'm expecting the beater's maintenance to go asymptotic any day now. When the original carburetor dies, the car will be scrap.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

The 5 is an "American" car (basically a Ford). It's over 60% US/Canadian content, including a US-made powertrain.

The 3 is made in Japan by Mazda.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Carburetor, wow. I have only owned one vehicle that was not fuel-injected, a 1982 Ford Van with the big 300 straight six and a 1-barrel carb. It wasn't very fast off the line, which was probably a good thing.

Pat

Reply to
pws

They are quite excellent cars Lanny, I think you'll like it allot. My youngest daughter's boyfriend has a 3 and loves it. I've driven it a couple times and I think besides driving very well and being almost identically quick as my miata, it has the highest quality and appearance interior of anything in that class. I would only say that MS 3 would be MUCH more entertaining but, I know you're looking for something more pedestrian that that hot rod.

Chris

99bbb
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yes, we already have a Miata for a toy. The MS3 is nifty, but its mileage is disappointing on the highway, where none of the car's virtues are relevant. OTOH, if we spent more than a few days every other year in Colorado, it would be a different story. I'll bet the MS3 sells very well over 5000 feet (though it probably won't replace the WRX as the Official State Car).

Reply to
Lanny Chambers