Reply to
FrinkLemur

As of now, miata.net is up.

-- marcio at compudimensions.com

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

And thank goodness, too. I was starting to wonder why the caliper pistons wouldn't slide back in... thank goodness I didn't -ahem- use too much force.

BTW, the rear calipers on my car are in pretty bad shape - a few winters with snow (and, of course, salt) have taken their toll. Anyone out there have a set of stock rear calipers from a '90-97 that they want to get rid of, cheap?

Reply to
FrinkLemur

That got me too--I'm used to simply forcing the piston back in and when I went to change the rear pads for the first time, I didn't have the instructions. I felt pretty dumb when I realized what was behind that little bolt in the back.

Anyway, I don't know what it is about my Miata, but it's the easiest car I've ever worked on, hands down. After 100k miles, the entire rear brake system disassembled like it was just screwed together last week. OTOH, my old Talon required a lift and baseball swings to the rotor with a sledge to get off at 100k miles. Even then they came off in pieces. ;)

I just replaced one of mine a couple weeks ago--got it from a wrecked '95 that a guy was parting out on eBay for $35.

Reply to
tooloud

No, but did you try Trussville Mazda? They have remanufactured rear calipers for $88.00 (net after core) although it often takes them a few weeks to get them in. I'm in need of a set myself and will be ordering them shortly unless someone knows of a better deal or, in the alternative, is is possible to rebuild your own or does it take highly specialized equipment?

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

You can get rear caliper rebuild kits from FinishLine

does not require special tools, but does require patience and care.A thin nose, long reach snap ring plier set would be nice, but I wasable to get mine fully dissassembled and reassembled without. If you plan on doing this, be sure to get new slide pins all around, and get some good high temp silicon brake grease to put on the slide pins. If your calipers are only active on one side, then it is frozen on the slide pins.

I had to replace one of my calipers with a remanufactured because the slide pin broke off inside the caliper assembly. Was not able to free it. Watch and be prepared for this if you try just rebuilding.

On the same topic, I had to rebuild the remanufactured caliper because the brake would not adjust, activate - release the parking brake correctly. The adjuster, parking brake pivot pin, and twist wheel were out of place. The pivot pin for the parking brake is tough to get into position correctly. If it is not in position, the parking brake will not release correctly, and the auto adjust will not function correctly either. Definitely the toughest part of the rebuild to take apart, clean, and reassemble correctly.

budjoe

93 White C package - 162k mi. and rolling.
Reply to
Stephen Toth