spark plug wire problem solved

I had a problem with the spark plug wires recently on a 626. Car ran rough, took it to autozone to get the codes read for free, misfiring on cylinder

  1. Pulled plug, noticed a line on the porcelain. Replaced plugs, but engine still ran rough. Examined the spark plug wire, resistance OK about 5K ohms, but noticed a deep line engraved on the rubber end that goes over the plug.

Solution, just pull off the rubber end. The rubber end serves only to center the wire end as it slides down to the plug. But it also contacts the metal walls of the valve cover. Bad design.

Reply to
news

Sounds like a temporary solution. Don't know about the long term effects. I'd replace the defective plug wire assembly.

Solution, just pull off the rubber end. The rubber end serves only to center the wire end as it slides down to the plug. But it also contacts the metal walls of the valve cover. Bad design.

Reply to
Chuck