190E 2.3 Timing Chain Noise

1985 engine with single row timing chain.

The engine is from a wrecking yard with 103,000 miles. The timing chain and cam gear are clean (no carbon-like build up) and there is red RTV around the timing chain cover so I believe that the chain was replaced recently. I can only assume that the chain guides were replaced too.

The problem it when the car is started the chain rattles loudly until the oil pressure builds up. I am sure that it is not lifters making the noise.

My questions are: Should this be considered normal for this engine? Are there any adjustments to fix this noise?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Not normal... you need new timing chain tensioner.

Reply to
Tiger

A 2.3 chain tensioner has a ratchet in it. Unlike the V8 tensioner that are just oil pressure controlled. As a 2.3 chain stretches, the tensioner comes out to take up the slack but it cannot retract. When the tensioner reaches the end of its clicks, it can extend and retract like a V8 tensioner. BUT at this point your chain has stretched to its breaking point. You need to replace the chain very soon! To replace the tensioner, you will need a couple of big allen sockets. You remove the center allen plug. Remove the spring. Remove the housing from the timing cover. Pull the plunger out. To install: screw the housing into the cover tight. Push the plunger in [the ratchet is the spring ring on the butt end]. Install the spring. Put the end plug on the allen socket and PUSH HARD to compress the spring AND turn the allen to start the threads. Have fun!

Reply to
Karl

Another project that I'll never have time for.

Since I think that the chain is fairly new, I'll start with the tensioner. Is there anyway to test the chain for stretch? The P.O. might have used have used a cheap chain.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan