1983 240D clutch adjustment

W123 1983 240D I've read all the post on slipping clutches, but mine is not slipping. It feels like the clutch is not disengaging. I cannot get the car into reverse without turning off the engine. Up shifting
"can" be done although I'm sure it's not good for the transmission. The transmission feels tight when it's in gear, no slipping. The brake fluid reservoir is low but not below the MIN setting.
Does that sound like the slave cylinder?
Aaron
Brake fluid has nothing to do with slave cylinder.
Yes, it does sounds like the slave cylinder is not doing the job of releasing the clutch.
I suggest you change your manual transmission fluid to what Redline recommends.
On my 230CE, the clutch gets its fluid from the brake master cylinder reservoir. I assume that the 240D is the same.
The clutch is self adjusting. The slave cylinder has a clutch wear indicator.
Does it grind gears when you shift into reverse when the engine is running? How about when shifting gears? Does it roll when stopped with the clutch in and your foot off the brake? If so, then suspect bad clutch master or slave cylinder. You can try to bleed the clutch.