How Do You Replace CV Joint Boots?

I need to renew the rubber boots on the CV joints on the rear axle of my 1982 300 TDT. Do I have to completely remove the rear axle?

If not, is there a way to do it leaving the coil springs and struts in place?

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
heav

Paul, last time I did it on my VW, all I had to do was cut off the old boot replace with a new one that was cut open lenthways.... a bunch of little bolts close the boot up again once its on the axle... hope this makes sense to you

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

MB does not make a split boot. They only supply a boot rebuild kit that includes new 'cans'. You need 2 expensive tools to replace them, a 'can' cutter and a 'can' sealer. At the dealership, it runs close to 6 hours just for the labor.

You can buy NEW axles from EMPI for $100 each!

But if you do not have the flanges, add more $$.

Reply to
Karl

Another couple of questions -

What do I risk damaging driving with a duct tape boot like I am now? It sounds like whatever it is, I have to replace it anyway unless I want to get those can tools. How far do you think I can go with a duct tape boot?

What are the "flanges?"

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
heav

There are 2 types of axles: Homokinetic and angular. Homokenetic axles have a splined shaft on each end. Angular has a spline on the outer joint and a flat face on the inner. Go here:

Axle #5 is angular. The shaft above it with no number is homokenetic.

If you have flanges, the #5 shaft bolts on to it using 6 bolts and 2 half moons. Pictured below the axle on the left end.

Reply to
Karl