CV joint boots

How much of a PITA are these to swap? One's gone on my bird's ZX, and with the rust on the underside I'm thinking that the scrapyard may be the best option come MOT time...

Reply to
Doki

The boots easy:-) (getting the driveshaft out's the difficult bit)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Any idea on how long it generally takes? TBH it may be simplest to scrap it and give her my car...

Reply to
Doki

Much depends if the shaft , and associated components have been removed before , if they have then a cuople of hours if not everything could be seized up solid then its an all day exersise ,

Reply to
steve robinson

I take it the glue on split bodge kit ones are a bodge?

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I had a knocking CV joint on my AX about 6 months ago. Apparently you have to replace the entire driveshaft. Local independent did it for about £90.

David.

Reply to
David Linley

It's a 1990s FWD PSA - I'd be fairly confident that CV joints, bottom balljoints and/or wishbone bushes have been replaced at some point. If they have, it won't stop it all being seized together though. (c:

I found separating the suspension balljoints to get the gearbox off my BX was surprisingly easy on a 4 post lift and with an air impact wrench thingy.

The XU engine and intermediate driveshaft bearing arrangement attatched to the back of the engine will be similar on the ZX and BX.

I think its just a matter of whether Doki can be arsed or not.

I think I had someone else fit recon driveshafts to our 306 for about £90 a side a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In article , Doki writes snip

-tried some a few years ago; IME, IF you're lucky they'll last just long enough to get you to an MOT testing station and perhaps a few days more. Pity, because it would be great if they worked.

Reply to
Chris Holford

I did one on the DS (1955 design, folks) last week. Getting the driveshaft out took fifteen minutes and refitting it about the same. That includes the time to jack up the car. Oh, the joys of inboard brakes. The only long bits were the ten minute drive each way to the local agricultural engineers to have the triaxe pressed off and the two hours it took to heat the triaxe up in the oven for refitting and to let it cool again afterwards.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

You just wanted to boast to us all that you own a DS didn't you? :D

Reply to
Doki