key won't turn. wheel seems locked.

I can't get the key to turn on my 83 turbodiesel. door locks and trunk are fine - key works. What do I do? Do I have to get it towed?
help please.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Speaking generically, not so much of Mercedes, try pressing the brake pedal and making sure the vehicle is in park.
--
- Michael J. Astrauskas

Please don't guess. None of the information you posted is even remotely relevant.
This is not a Ford.
First, try moving the steering wheel to release any pressure on the locking mechanism. This is for any car, not just MB. If there is tension on the wheel from the locking plate, then the innards can't retract, therefore, you can't turn the key and start the car.
Try another key, sometimes they get worn and get grumpy. I keep a pristine original key in a stash at home and drive with a duplicate, then if it starts to wear, and they do over time, I have a nice crisp original to have another copy made with.
If this still doesn't work, or even if it does, but the ignition is still being snarky, get thee to the dealer and order yourself a new ignition cylinder pronto. They are easy to replace IF you can get the key to turn. Second cousin to impossible without major surgery if it it stuck. They do wear out. I replaced the one in my 79 240 D about 4-5 years ago. Luckily I caught mine when I could still get it to turn with some patience. Took about 1/2 hour and a paperclip to swap out the lock cylinder, no problems since. Now for the driver's door lock....
Snowfire
Snowfire wrote:

Just add a remote control to the central locking to stop the other locks from wearing out. I never use my key except for the contact.
Ximinez

If you pull on the steering wheel to one side does it move then? Hoe bout to the other side?
If not your lock cylinder has failed and I'm afraid it's a bit of a pig to replace when it has failed - not so bad when they're merely failing though.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Happened to me this morning. On the busiest street in Manhattan at morning rush hour. It had been getting balky for awhile but today it quit altogether. Nothing would budge it. Had to have the car towed to a Mercedes repair shop. Hope to have it back today.