Sputtering 95 Eclipse

I have a 95 Eclipse GS, when I drive it for about

30 to 40mins it sputters and stalls at the first stop. I can start it right back up, but it continues to sputter at low speeds. I need to know if it's any thing between the fuel regulator,the fuel filter or bad timing.
Reply to
Kep31

Plug leads, fuel filter, dirty injectors. If this happens on a 1/2 or less full tank, the return line or vapour purge line is blocked. When it happens again, slowly release the filler cap. If you hear a hissing sound, thats the problem. Once pressure is equalized, see if the sputtering continues.

Might be the caps on the ECU starting to fail.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Adding to Stewart's excellent list of possible issues: a clogged air filter, a dirty throttle body, defective intake air control, or a failed coolant temperature sensor. If these were not done recently, then replace the plugs and wires and filters too and see if it goes away.

Not as likely in my mind to be a clogged fuel filter with no other drivability issues at high speed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I took your suggestions and saw some performance improvements. But, the stalling still continues. I was reading my mechanic manual, it mentioned something about EVAP CANISTER being the culprit. I could really use some insight on this.....THANKS

Reply to
Kep31

I can't think how the evap canister could be the problem, unless the solenoid that allows the evap purge operation to occur.

a) look at ALL the 6mm vacuum hoses for leaks. Any cracks or splits, replace the hose. b) take your filler cap off and see if the sputtering still occurs. If it does, then your gas tank is not equalizing pressure. The pump sends gas, and produces a partial vacuum in the tank. If this gets too high, the pump ceases to work or works poorly, giving reduced fuel pressure.

Also, verify that the fuel return line is not connected to the purge line, and vice versa. Generally you'll get fuel leaking out the cannister, but not always.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS