Update: 02 Sensor Nightmare

I finnally got the correct front 02 sensor in on my 95 Talon TSI AWD, but now my rear is acting up a bit.

After a replacement and re-soldering job it is still giving me a minor issue. For the first 45 secs or so it won't report the proper voltage and percentage, but after that it will track perfectly with the front 02 sensor. I'm thinking it might have to do with it being a Bosch Universal style 02 sensor, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thnx CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

Why worry about the rear O2? It's only there to monitor cat efficiency. It shouldn't track with the front O2 anyway. It has nothing to do with fuel control.

Reply to
Robert Honea

Well tell that to my fuel gauge.

And why the hell would you want to measure cat efficency? That would be pretty easy to tell just by your gas pedal.

And another thing, why wouldn't it track with the front sensor? The only thing in the way is about 3' of pipe and a cat.

And lastly, you didn't even come close to answering my question, so please either do or don't post.

Regards, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

I'm sorry. I've only been working with DSMs for, oh, 10 years. I guess I don't know shit. Well, let's think about this...hmmmm. Oxygen sensors are heated. The front O2 gets a lot of heat from the engine. It warms up quicker than the rear. Maybe that's why it takes 45 seconds to get an output?

And as for the rear O2, read:

There's a lot more...try google.

Reply to
Robert Honea

hey jumpman, honea did answer your question. the first sensor is to monitor the exhaust stream and control the fuel curve. the second sensor if there to monitor cat-con efficency only. if your second sensor causes the ecu to cough up a dtc, i don't believe there is any symptom other than a check engine light and the stored dtc. fuel control is 100% front sensor. are you monitoring voltage with a logger? what is your front sensor saying? you need dsmlink in the worst way. the fix for your problem is a mouse click.

Reply to
simpleton

I was using a logger, specifically the OBDII Pocket Logger for the Palm Pilot. And the front one works properly and it's not showing any error codes on it. I don't remember the exact voltage, but I'll log it tomorrow and tell you. The rear one says .08V (which works out to -4%) on my data logger and stays there for the first 45 secs the car is turned on from a cold start.

The rear O2 sensor must do more than just monitor the cat efficiency, because every time the sensor goes on the fritz my idle increases and I lose power until it finally starts tracking.

And I had already considered that the heater may take a bit to catch, but the rear O2 sensor I installed in a 95GSX earlier today tracked the minute it started up. And for future reference, not all O2 sensors are heated. As a matter of fact, I believe the O2 sensors in the early 1G's were not heated.

It just really burns me when I ask a question and the first answer I get is the equivalent of "Don't worry you don't need it anyway." Answers like that have no real value to the person asking the question. I mean how hard is it to look at the post and come up with an answer, or a request for a more accurate description (like simpleton just did), or even a point in the right direction.

In regards to the dsmlink, I have thought about it but unfortunately that isn't an option for the near future. The talon is my everyday car and I just can't afford to lose it for the time it would take to send it away to get the EPROM's installed and shipped back to me. But when I retire it to project car status I will definitely install it.

Regards, CMF

(P.S. simpleton, how did you know my sign on name for dsmtuner? you frequent the site?)

Reply to
Chris Ferris

Oh and I wanted to thank you for sticking with this one. You've been more patient than I deserve sometimes.

CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

"Mirco Vivaldo" wrote in news:UDzKb.234528$ snipped-for-privacy@twister2.libero.it:

YOU are fortunate.

What do you need to get married? A license and the marrying dude fee. Stop pissing money away on the internet and you will have your money in 1 month.

Dude, that sutff is old. Try tapping some new stuff. Don't fall in love with your first BJ.

Probably from pissing there money away on failed internet scams.

Well...?

Let's see -- She is broke, your parents are broke, her parents are broke, but you're no good because you're broke. Okaaaaay.

Why do you have a bank account if you are broke???

You're to f*n' stupid to manage a dollar. You can't even post.

Why do you write like a Nigerian scammer?

Reply to
Al Bundy
Reply to
Andrea Zambelli