big block v8's BMW E36 diffs

hey peeps

with the punto nearly completed(just waiting on the new manifolds to arrive) i'm looking to slot an 8 into something a bit more sedate

thinking along the lines of a nice E36 4door

anyone know if it was just the 6's that got lsd's? and if so is there much of a difference between diffs off a 4 pot and 6 pot?

anyway back on topic engines

seeing as the E36 is a tad more roomy under the bonnet i want displacement :) lots of displacement hence big block chevy motor something around 6 litres and 350-400 brake would do nicely but i need advice i'm not a V8 man c'mon you guys know me its always been 4 pot turbos the last few years

anyone care to shed some light my way before i get all muddled like i did with the puntos engine 1 dizzy and 8 leads makes for a very confused Rob

cheers guys

Reply to
Rob

there are LOTS of diff ratio's in the Beemer range lots and lots some are also cooled (I've been trying to fit it to a sierra cossie axle that I've got but because it needs to go back I can't butcher it too much, the axle or the diff)

don't know which models had the slippers but it shouldn't be a lot of them, try looking at the options list to see who had what and which were options, that's the best way to target the one you want

V8's are a doddle :) just make sure you have one that's going to fit and plonk it in :)

Reply to
dojj

How about some pics, then?

Reply to
SteveH

Got any pictures?

Reply to
Homer

have the pics up as soon as i get it finished

manifolds quick fix exhaust system and a 2 minute blow over with the spray gun and she's done

Reply to
Rob

Some advice... Big blocks are REALLY H E A V Y !!! Fit a small block, and hot it up a bit, they rev better and your car will still steer, and probably accelerate faster as all the weight will not be over the front! Or look at the Corvette alloy motor its a gem! Loads of smoothness and torque, and a big heavy corvette goes 170mph...

Reply to
Burgerman

hey john,

nice to see you chipping in we all have been on your site and seen the sierra :) not to mention the insane bikes lol

been hunting at kit cars

think its time i took an angle grinder to the mondeo :)

yes its based on a mondeo :)

but anyways back to 8's what i need to aim for is a sensible conersion something the wife can take to tesco and still get the shopping in the boot along with the little un hence a nice practical beemer slap a set of 17's on with a m3 kit and hey presto m3 replica with m3 slapping grunt :)

point taken on the weight of the big block lumps but as every old timer says theres no replacement for displacement and making up a nice 365 badge would really wind up the saxo boys

although a nice 5.7 with N02 would more than likely slap the vast majority of m badged cars up and down the motorway

Reply to
Rob

An old V8 rover engine would do that! Its the weight thing though.

Only fit a big block if you are intending it only for the strip. The rest of the time the nose heavy car will drive horrible...

Reply to
Burgerman

In news:qs8lc.1662$7S2.373@newsfe1-win, Burgerman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ah, I've been having a moment of V8 wantingness....

and I own something with an excellent 5.0 all alloy V8 in..

and a Capri.

Thoughts are along the lines of V8, Cossie gearbox, 2.8i Capri LSD, 8-1 pipe and leaving the 2.0 Laser bodywork totally stock.

Could be trés amusing

Reply to
Pete M

souls

Do you realise how cool an 8 into 1 loud 3 inch single box pipe sounds?

Reply to
Burgerman

In news:sx9lc.184$gv5.28@newsfe1-win, Burgerman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Yup, did a Rover powered Capri with a mate a few years ago, that had an 8-1 on it..

The V8 sounds totally gorgeous in the Merc (the back box is totally shagged), every time I start it I'm tempted to get out the tape measure and see if it'll fit the Capri..

Reply to
Pete M

souls

It will. Its just mind over metal. You need the diff from a 4 speed 3 litre essex one (had 4 speeds so its reeely tall...) Salsbury I think.

My Rover V8 / sierra had "rejetted" re needled, modded SUs to give better pickup. Sounded exellent with its tubular stag headers, all joined into a single 3 inch pipe with a ford cargo straight through 3 inch box... Sort of a cheap (15 quid) big bore silencer...

Reply to
Burgerman

In news:wLclc.553$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net, Burgerman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

both the 2.8i and the 3.0 Capri had 3.08:1 diffs, but the 2.8i "Special" had an LSD, which I suspect would be useful.

We used Stag headers on the V8 Capri, might have to get some 4 branches made up for the Merc engine though if I ever get round to it.

Merc is EFI, but it's early 80's EFI so should be easy enough to get it to plumb into the Capri. None of this catalytic "oooh, save the planet" bollocks on my motors :-D

Reply to
Pete M

souls

And break... Been there with cosworth sierra diffs.... They try to put power down through one drive shaft when the other spins... BANG!

Pleased to hear it! (I will be?)

Reply to
Burgerman

That was suspicously quick....?

Any chance of photos? Not that i don't beleive you of course ;) Its just you used to make us so many promises rob :D

Reply to
Dan405

Well, this is a summary of what you'd need to do:

Mount car in Jig so you don't twist the shell as you do the next 2 steps:

Chop out the boot floor, and the floorpan up to the rear footwells. Design and fabricate a tubular subframe which would bolt up to the front half of the floorpan and hold the V8 in place. Install V8 with custom built driveshafts. Sort out all the electrics, as the engine and stuff is now at the opposite end of the car. Rip out the front suspension, steering and driveshafts, redesign and fabricate the front suspension and steering components as they no longer have to drive and steer at the same time.

There's loads of other stuff that would need doing - quite possibly strengthening the shell as you've just ripped out half the floor, building a firewall between engine and passenger compartment etc.

I reckon that you'd need several weeks of more or less solid working on it to build it...... if you also have a proper job, reckon on closer to a year of weekends and evenings.

Reply to
SteveH

who said anything about a MR setup

Front engined rear drive all the way girls

and if your interested the back end came off a triumph dolly sprint

Reply to
Rob

Bwahahahaha!

Care to explain how you got a V8 in the front of a Punto - given that even the 1.2 16v is a tight fit.

Reply to
SteveH

the 8's in

its the box/steering rack thats doing my nut in the now

have you ever worked on a Rover v8?

there not as substansial as you think steve

Reply to
Rob

jpegs, then.

I pretty much know small Fiats inside out, and know that you haven't had time to wedge a Rover V8 in there..... that's _if_ it fits at all. And we haven't had proof of that yet.

BTW, I know a Rover V8 isn't exactly a baggy fit in a P6, so in a Punto it's going to be pretty much impossible.

Give us a jpeg, and we'll stop taking the piss.

Reply to
SteveH