BMW "Mini"

As of 2007 the "Mini" cooper and cooper S will be turbo charged rather that NA/SC..

BMW are developing the engine with PSA too so they plan to use is in the

1007/C2/C3/C4..

168bhp turbo C2 VTs would be interesting :o)

Works cooper s should be circa 230BHP.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

AutoExpress tells me the standard cooper is going to get a 1.6, high revving

140bhp engine, and only the Cooper S gets a turbo'd lump?
Reply to
DanTXD

BMW should have sorted out the K series cooling issues and fitted that - 1.4

105 bhp and 1.8 120/160 bhp with 1.8 or 2.0 turbo 200+bhp would have been ace, and lightweight.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

1.6 Supercharged 200bhp would be a better bet though surely? Presumablyt, smaller and lighter than a 2.0?
Reply to
DanTXD

Why would the 2.0 be heavier if based on the same block? Superchargers aren't my cup of tea, waste of energy compared to turbos, yes there's no lag but there's a drive belt, as if there's not enough of those to fail on a modern engine.

The K series has been taken out to 2.0 for racing already, and is rumoured to be going there for the road.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Presumablyt,

I can say that the new Mini motors all are going to be BMW based developments of the current engine. They're 16v valvetronic all alloy 1.6 units in 90, 120, 140, 170 and 220bhp varients. The last two are turbo'd.

No superchargers any more.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Almost certainly they're not !

The current lump was co-funded by Chrysler who use it in one of their USA cars. It's made in Brazil, very cheaply, and isn't very refined at all.

Why on earth would PSA step in to help polish a turd ? They're more than upto the job of making very nice engines - it's not in their interest to stump up dosh for the dated old MINI lump !

Reply to
Nom

Shame about the demise of the "Brazil" engine as this is a mods group. Very tunable but not economical or very smooth. Great!

Reply to
fishman

PSA, decent engine... hmmm... let me think.

The inefficient V6? No. The low output 2.0? no. the rattly 1.4/1.6? no. Sorry, can't think of one. Unless you're thinking of the new ford-funded diseasels, and they are just that, diesel, and ford funded.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The 1.9TD lump. The HDi lumps in all their guises. The original 1.9 16v Mi16 lump. The 306 GTi-6 lump. The 210bhp/285Nm V6. The 200bhp V6 Derv as found in the S-Type Jag. etc. etc.

PSA make fine engines !

Reply to
Nom

According to Autocar it's an all new design. Ally block instead of iron. And different dimensions requiring substantial subframe mods. And a new bonnet - not clam shell anymore.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it's an all new engine.

It borrows technology from current bimmer engines but the proper ones not the "mini" ones.

Reply to
Mason

So Valvetronic?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, a lovely piece of kit.

I think I prefer the 1.9 to the 2.0 HDI (the 90 or 110 PS) versions. Mondeo TDCi superb. 1.4 HDI / TDCi is getting there. 1.6, yeah I like-see.

Yes.

No. Needed caning to get anything like the full performance.

Yes. Nice.

A mixed bag, really. Some signs of genius. Almost all recent four bangers are nothing special, there are lots of 1.6s, 1.8s and 2.0 eight valvers that are... well... unremarkable. So too are the cooking model sixteen valvers really. :-/

Superb 1.9 as used in the 205 GTI / 309 GTI / ZX... Lovely grunty feeling... Modern PSA equivalents seem lacking.

The 3.0 V6 is a lovely engine but I can't help but feel it's lovely because it's a V6, not because it's a PSA donk, if you see what I mean.

Reply to
DervMan

/Dervy interest picks up/

Reply to
DervMan

according to autocar it "Borrows significant technology from newer BMW engines"

So i presume thats what they are getting at yes.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

diseasel and unrefined

diseasel

Not diseasel but just as oil-burning

maybe let you off there

wooo - 210 bhp from 3 litres...

Ford funded diseasel.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sorry TYPO! I meant to say ..of theIR current engine- i.e. the M?? unit thats in the curent 1 and 3 series.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Yes, see my post above (and the correction!)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Again, see my post above.