just been watching top gear...

... on iplayer thanks to my sky+ deciding it's retiring from life in the PVR buisness.

anyway there boring derv race got me thinking, how can i better my mini's

38.1mpg? ok so top tips for me to try this week? (yes i'm running out of posting ideas on here, car related ones anyway) first i was going to try keeping it just under 60mph (easier in rush hour this one.) but what else? guessing the usual like use engine breaking, slow up before junctions by easing off to slow down ect

wanna see if i can crack 40mpg at first.

post for dervy i think this..

Reply to
Vamp

Up the tyre pressures to the highest recommended in the handbook, get rid of anything not needed from the car, accellerate gently, brake as little as possible, cruise slower.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Buy narrower (steel) rims with narrow, hard compound tires (Michelin markets them as "Energy Saver").

Choose a tire with reduced diameter of about an inch(choosing sidewallheight). Rideheight and frontal area will reduce and in doing so lower aerodynamic drag. Put tires arond 2.5 bar and don't drive in the rain. That should bring your MPG close to 45 mph

Want an extra 5% in fuelreduction? Deconnect the power-steering.

Wedge a piece of wood, around 3 inch think under your gaspedal.

Still want more? Never accelerate faster than a bus and never drive over

40 MPH.

ALternatively you could leave the Mini alone and start walking of biking.

Tom De moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Freewheel down inclines, incurring the wrath of Conor and others ;)

Reply to
Abo

Buy a French shopping trolley.

HTH.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Put a phonebook under the accelerator.

Reply to
DanB

Yes because you use more fuel than if you were in gear...

Reply to
Conor

By not being lead-footed. This may, on past evidence, be completely beyond you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have a look here

(opens link to

That'll give you some ideas.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

No idea why that link didn't work. I'm playing with Linux and Pan again..

anyway, I was trying to send you here

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Drafting is complete bollocks. In order to benefit from it, you need to be up the vehicle in fronts arse. If you do as that site suggests and leave a 2 second gap, at non urban speeds, that'll put you in the position of quite a high level of wind resistance. Try it behind a lorry on the motorway. Drop back slowly and as you reach the 2 second mark, you'll feel a bit of buffeting.

Coast and Burn is a very good suggestion HOWEVER YOU HAVE TO BE IN GEAR, NOT IN NEUTRAL. In gear, the engine management system will cut off all fuel to the enging until you reach around 1200RPM. In neutral, it'll supply fuel constantly to keep the engine running.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not quite, but...

Short seconds around you, mate.

Slipstreaming or drafting is definitely the easiest way to get past a wagon on the motorway in a 2cv - but anything more than "Ohfuckthisisclose" means you get no benefit at all. The period of buffeting is _well_ within 1sec gap, nowhere near as far back as 2sec.

Reply to
Adrian

WTF would you want to? I'm getting 35mpg out of my 2l HDI at the minute. Need a GTI of some sort. I could easily better that in a petrol...

Reply to
Doki

The absolute worst I've had is 52MPG.

I guess I just know how to drive..

Reply to
Conor

Not only that - I drove past a petrol station that used to be one of the more expensive ones around (BP in Twyford, Berks), and now it's cheap on a par to the vaguely local Asda, which always has been the cheapest (methinks BP have had a rethink about pricing their fuel to drive more people in to the shops, which probably works particularly well at the M+S BP places...) - anyway, it's 89.9 for petrol and 105.9 for diesel, meaning you only need a petrol doing 84.9% of the economy of a diesel for equal running costs.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

You might drive without the towhook you swing at lorries. :-)

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Hey! Used to get that too.

When I was in the army, stationed in Germay I went home by car. The tanc filled up courtesy of army fuel. Snow, ice all the way; *Autobahn* closed etc yett I drove through like a man possessed.

Where I went into a spin, taken nearly a telephone boot out, ending in a small ditch?

300 m from my doorstep.

Since then I pay high attention the last few miles from destination :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Oh Yeah?

Try it on a bike and I think you might change your mind

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Actually Adrian, just re-read what you said and I concour.

Conor---Try it on a bike and I think you might change your mind

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Fair enough. Was trying to recall from memory. I don't usually spend long behind lorries unless I'm in one.

Reply to
Conor