Oi: Dervy. Modern engine, classic lazy looks.

Interesting. Very interesting.

At the moment, thinking about alternatives is helping stop the flashbacks and although I know a lot of people are trying to persuade me to ditch the diesel... but...

Okay it has a Renault engine, the parent company is now owned by Ford. Volvo S40 D.

Or it has a Mitsubishi engine, the parent company is now owned by Ford. Volvo S40 GDI.

Or how about I stop worrying about it?

Reply to
DervMan

What you reckon?

Should suit you sir, Even Charly might like it.

Wonder if it would run on SVO/WVO?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

A Volvo D5 based vehicle would be good if you could afford one. Didn't Vamp's dad have one?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

It would be grand... but probably too expensive...

Reply to
DervMan

True, then what about a 7/900 series turbo diesel saloon? Not a big as the estate so not as popular but. RWD, big, good spec, Diesel, start under a grand no bother. Even a mid 90's 940 TD estate is only a couple of grand. And those should run on veg.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

But they are s**te, uneconomical engines. Better to go for a V70 with the VAG 2.5 I5 tdi, or an A6 with the same engine. That said, possibly a bit on the large side for parking in the side-streets of York.

I suppose the dull but sensible answer is a golf tdi - plentiful supply, tweakable, lots of customising potential and 57mpg on the combined cycle. Not a replacement for the KA in chuckability, but then neither is a passat/volvo/audi/blah.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I was thinking more along the lines of the 850 TDI.

To be honest where we park is less of an issue these days. The car will spend most of its time on the commute...

Maybe. Except there are only a very small number of Golfs I would buy. A mark one or two GTi, a mark five GTi, and that's about it really. A better bet must be a Seat or Skoda. Skoda then.

I also have a budget to work to...

Reply to
DervMan

You'd have to be on charly to like it.

Reply to
SteveH

yup still has it, average fuel eco is 49mpg but that's if you drive like my dad, drive it like me it'll still get 38mpg :) love it soooo torquey and i've yet to be in anything as quiet cruising along at 70-80mph! give it some gas (or heavy oil should that be?) and it roars really nicely! plus it sounds like a mans diesel on the outside! :) have to say i was pretty tempted by one, only thing that puts me off the S60 is it's shitty to park, can't see sweet FA at the back and it has a turning circle of the titanic!

Reply to
Vamp

I wouldn't.

The interior build quality reminds me of a MkIV Escort. Even Fiat would be ashamed.

Reply to
SteveH

Weren't you considering buying an 850 at one point?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not trying hard enough. I can get the A class below that.

You should have got one. S60 is much less visible and more subtle and better value than a 3 series, even if the handling isn't as good. T5 goes like stink and chips to an easy 300bhp, the D5 is as you know OK.

Turning circle better (and ride) on 16 instead of 17" wheels. 18" OE BBS wheels look great but ruin the ride and scupper the turning circle even more.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I was, yes..... but that was before I'd been driven around in a pampered

1-owner from new early S70. Cheap plastics, and the vinyl has come unstuck from the door panels. Very, very nasty.
Reply to
SteveH

*Cough* T6 *cough*

Why would the turning circle be any different because of the wheel size (assuming they aren't hitting the inner arch)... ?

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Only available in the S80 (softer setup) or two tonnes of XC90.

The widths go from 205 to 225 to 245 on the tyres, the base 16s rub a little on full lock, 17s and 18s have lock limiters.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

owning the same car as you're dad at 23 is NOT cool mate! that's another thing that put me off! although i was VERY tempted at a black fully specced auto V70 we had at work, tint the windows and that woulda been the badger nadgers! but work wanted to much for the bastard

Reply to
Vamp

Oops, mis-read it - thought we were talking about the S80 :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

They are warp drive armchairs though - S80 T6.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

guy a few houses down from me has one, could just gain on it in a quick sprint we had once off a roundabout, a car that size shouldn't be THAT quick!

Reply to
Vamp

280 bhp, not too much weight for a big motor, shedloads of torque, two pedals. They are ace.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp