Paging Messrs Plowman & Gibbs

Stop me from doing something I'll regret. Please.

Adrian

I have a feeling it's going to reach 'HFM' by the time the auction ends.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It was £4,500 last week, with no bids.

Reply to
Adrian

You must promise to keep the gold carpets. Then I will let you have it.

Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That's the wrong answer.

Reply to
Adrian

Heh, that's been for sale for quite a while. It was up for sale at £7k originally. I think it went for £3.5k on the bay a few weeks back but didn't make the reserve and more recently for £4250 BIN and didn't sell. Also been a fake auction for the it for £2k, so watch out!!

I'm more of a series 2 fan myself (IMHO my car was the best looking one Rover made :)), but it's a proper wolf in sheeps clothing and I certainly wouldnt say no!! But if I was paying that sort of money I'd want the headlining to have been done already as that can really let the interior down (although no pics to show how bad it is), along with that dodgy choke cable.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Listed *again*, is it? Dunno what the reserve actually is but I'd guess 5k or so. And you could get a nice one for that. I'm willing to bet it needs serious money spent on the body - rust round the screen is bad news. And fitting new headlining costs pennies - doesn't sound like a cared for example at all. And standard brakes? They weren't good enough for the four cylinder model...

Be better off getting a good standard car and fitting a 4 litre injection from a Disco, etc. Far sweeter engine than the 4.6.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Carl Gibbs" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yeh, I saw that auction.

Had a good prod over a B-reg Vitesse the other weekend at a mate's stag do.

That's going to be easy enough - it's out of the Saab at the mo for retrimming.

But you're REALLY not helping me resist, y'know.

Reply to
Adrian

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There isn't one...

Thank you. Keep going.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Pete M

My parents had a Range Rover with carpets AND upholstery that colour when I was a kid.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's a crap colour.

The interior is a nightmare of 70s 'taste'.

It has carburettors, which means you'll be pouring neat LRP out the back quicker than you can burn it. And it'll refuse to start randomly when it's hot / cold / humid / dry / wet.

The wheels are too small, the tyres are too big.

It's not a late model Vitesse, in red, with cross-spokes.

Reply to
SteveH

"Muuuum, I've been sick..."

"Where?"

Reply to
Grant

Follow the smell. (c:

Perhaps strangely, in the days just before one had to wear seatbelts I can only remember 1 of my 3 siblings ever being sick in the car.

I do remember that Range Rover was very rolly in the corners and if there wasn't 4 of us in the back seat, the resultant cornering forces throwing us around sometimes caused injury.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I like it.

Half the charm.

That's what Megasquirt's for.

Not like the B-reg Vitesse on cross-spokes I was in last weekend, y'mean?

Which was on a 4 litre+ with a big carb.

Reply to
Adrian

But that's expense and hassle.

Hmmmm.

Wrong Vitesse.

Twin-plenum EFI, please.

Reply to
SteveH

The twin plenum is more collectable, but unless you intend to to tune it, it performs no better than the single plenum model. But I agree with you. I don't think it's a particularly desirable car, especially with a 4.6 NA engine. The brakes will be inadequate. As Dave pointed out, the std brakes were poor, and I can speak from experience, having owned a couple of 2.6 SD1's before I bought my Vitesse. The Vitesse and EFI have vented front discs with 4 pot calipers, which are actually quite good. And it sounds like it has rust at the bottom of the w/s. I'd be surprised if the chassis didn't show much more. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

Actually worse at lowish revs. I've only driven a couple but both felt very flat until wound up.

You need to try mine with XJS calipers and discs...

It's one of those cars which would need a long and careful examination before buying - so not really ideal from an auction unless very cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what mine is, but I've just converted it to single plenum as the TP setup is it nightmare once it starts to get a bit old and worn (or bodged about). I will get it back on there eventually, but throttle shafts are NLA so need to get a pair made up (£100+) and throttle discs are £60 each.

And there's not that much difference anyway in standard setup, it's only when you start making some modifications the TP setup becomes useful. You can see from my 2 trumpet bases that the TP base (RHS) clearly has the potential for much better breathing:

But everything else is the same as the single plenum (althought the camshaft is rumoured to be different but no conclusive evidence). Rover didn't really market the TP vs SP, but there's a couple of bits of literature that claims it has 193bhp compared to the previous 190bhp. TP owners tend to claim they feel faster, but in reality on a 20 year old car it's probably got more to do with condition that anything else. I'm probably gonna get an ipod Touch soon so I'd like to download that dyno software and eventually I can do a SP vs TP comparison - it wont be particularly scientific but all other things being equal it should provide some sort of evidence.

As for my car what I'd like to do is enlarge the throttles to 72mm (or 70, I cant remember which it is) and also get it converted to a centre pull throttle, then fit a larger Jag XJ6 air flow meter and injectors and hopefully unleash a bit more power. Of course a bigger lump with hotwire instead of the ageing flapper EFi is probably the way to go, but I'd like to keep the 80s feel I think. And it'd just been bolt on mods rather than a complete engine/loom swap.

Anyway, back on topic - Adrian with no reserve on the auction just bung a bid on it and you never know, you might get a bargain. Rimmer Bros stock enough body work to replace near enough every bit of metal on the car, so even if it does need a bit of rust repair it's not the end of the world. And you've at least got a summer of driving before it becomes an issue. Carpet can be replaced if not to your taste. Get some minilites and decent tyres. I can give you some 4 pots and vented discs at a knocked down price. And you know a 4.6 with a whopping great big 4 barrel carb is gonna sound awesome :D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Carl Gibbs" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

FUCK OFF. Please. I was almost cured.

Reply to
Adrian