This looks like quite an interesting prospect for phone/nav/hu.

Some appear on Ebay and with VW/Seat/Skoda version firmware. They will even interface with steering wheel controls with a connects2 cable.

Apparently about £300. So about £1k less than a similar specced factory unit, and sound quality as good as factory radio.

Reply to
Elder

Just one of the Rip Speed specials in an OEM-looking case.

HTH.

Buy something decent, for a change.

Reply to
SteveH

Haven't seen the ripspeed ones. Seem popular on the mk4 forums, and on briskoda. Just looking onto having something oem looking, that does what I want and costs less than the car.

Reply to
Elder

I can see one issue straight away - navigation updates will be pretty much impossible to get hold of. And as pricey as buying a new TomTom.

If you get a Superb with the premium audio pack - ie. cassette head unit and CD changer, then you can either use a cassette adaptor or an AUX adaptor for MP3 and you can never go wrong with a Parrot hands-free kit.

Total cost - about £100. You already have Sat. Nav. on your phone, with easily updatable mapping.

Spending 300 quid on an unknown brand is pretty foolish when you can have everything you want for a third of that.

Don't forget you also need the CAN-BUS adaptor for the steering controls, so that'll bump it up to around 350 quid.

You may well find that an ex-fleet Superb already has a usable car kit anyway.

Reply to
SteveH

One of the Parrot kits streams music from a phone to the stereo etc, via Bluetooth?

Even better, eh. :-)

Reply to
JackH

Hmmm, I dunno dude it looks a bit 'cheap' - it's not a Ripspeed one with a different badge mind, all the ones they do are flip out screens. If you look at caraudiodirect they have a double din Pioneer that's mainly a screen -

- only the only problem there is getting Sat Nav on it. Maximum amout of entertainment options mind you, and even though the iPod connector is included (they normally have to be bought later), and it has a front aux in, if you want Bluetooth you need to buy the adaptor. I think it looks much nicer than the 'Zenec' thinger though. Wait for Aldi or Lidl to get one - the quality of the head units they punt out for pennies is way above what anyone expects hehe :-) And it'll be cheap of course.

Reply to
DanB

My Mondeo has a aux point in the glove box, if I plug that into my phone thats sat in its holder clipped to the air vent I can play music through the car speakers or have a phone conversation using the car speakers.

Never have a problem with the mic on the phone picking up my voice.

james

Reply to
jamesd1974

w.italiancar.co.uk- Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed

The one that is being punted out has the CAN bus adaptor built in, and he does 1 of two models, one to replace the stock item in in the nav models and another to replace the non nav cars. Granted they are for the Octavia not the Superb, but they are designed to fit the OEM Skoda/ VAG places. They don't need ugly square adaptors that never match the interior.

The ones I've been looking at isn't the Zener, but the same kit on another brand just like all the Chinese stuff. It comes with a GPS antenna, the CAN bus adaptor. He was ebay but now he has his own ecommerce site. And you aren't buying from the far east, you are buying from a UK importer.

It is this guy

carl.robson

But Aldi/Lidl are unlikley to release a unit designed specifically to fit the Skoda/VW/Audi dash spaces with OEM colour lighting and logo'd boot screens that allow you to choose your own nav program, and includes all the can bus connectors to allow steering wheels controls to work are they.

It is this one that the Briskoda and Golf MKiv forum guys have been buying.

carl.robson

Such a well-established and trustworthy one, too.

Domain registered September this year. 'Unknown' type.

To a residential address in Liverpool.

I'm not convinced I'd want to be buying from such a source.

Reply to
SteveH

£100.12 for Myway iGo8 which I currently use on my phone. £107.26 if you buy TomTom6 Nowt if you blag a bent copy of TomTom 7 ripped from a HTC Diamond. Camera updates from either pocketGPS or PIOPlaza, pois from POIPlaza, map updates from the vendors for the product.

Not a biggy really expense wise to not have a suction cup on your windscreen and a power lead trailing to the lighter extension.

Reply to
Elder

Well, people have been buying from his ebay account for the last 6 months and you get the normal delay of imported goods sometimes, because he has to wait for a shipment,but nothing more, and on the Golf MKiv forum and a couple of the aussie VW forums they are even looking at trying to cook their own roms to improve the interface further.

Reply to
Elder

A whole new TomTom with Euro mapping can be had for £100.

That's the best argument I can think of for not having integrated navigation. Especially as you can take it with you in hire cars / the wife's car etc.

With the cable, you just need to semi-permanently route it.

But, go ahead, ignore the sensible advice, and blow your hard earned on some heap of unknown crap just to be different.

Reply to
SteveH

Unless you are willing to polish the sucker mark off the inside of the windscreen everytime you park you are asking to be broken into. There doesn't even need to be an empty cradle left there for them to smash a window to look in the glove box for the sat nav. A sucker mark is enough these days. And don't give the live somewhere less pikey option. You don't always have the choice to not go to an area a pikey can stolen mountainbike to.

Reply to
Elder

You seriously need to move somewhere less pikey.

Even in the pikeyest parts of Birmingham, I've never worried about leaving a Sat Nav cradle attached to the screen.

Reply to
SteveH

Did you actually read what I said?

It isn't where I live. It is where I sometimes have to drive through. There are parts of Moss side where they will smash a window and nick a tomtom while you are stopped at the lights.

And they aren't always the really rough parts. Pikeys travel.

Reply to
Elder

Heh, calm down, it's not like he's hurling thousands of pounds down the drain is it? And do you really, honestly park in the really shitty bits of Birmingham and leave your sat nav cradle on display? I don't know Birmingham at all - spent time at ROH, that was in Northfield iirc, just beyond Selly Oak and that was ok - mum wheeled me out and up there a few times for a McDs hehe - mind you, this was over 10 years ago now! Also, at the Heartlands hospital, can't remember where that was, the south east of Brum, all the shops were offering 'Hallal' food and goat meat - so I dunno what ethicyness of area that would be, it had lots of quite nice, big houses though, even with front gardens!

All the policey TV programs always have examples of car parks with every car showing a cradle/suction mark, even just things like phone chargers were reasons because they couldn't see where the wire went and hoped it was attached to something.

I certainly wouldn't leave any sat nav bits on view if I went to Brum, or Manchester or really any big city. We always used to make sure nothing was on view at the hospital because it backed onto Chapeltown with a big wall and on our first night there, a nurse told us not to park down there because 'they' come over the wall...

Round here, I wouldn't even take the unit off the window - christ I used to leave my laptop on the front seat and once got back to find I'd left the car unlocked, and the driver door not shut properly, all whilst my laptop bag was on the front seat and a load of stuff I hadn't got round to unpacking on the back seat (home from Uni for xmas). This was on the 206, which I parked on the road. I probably would endeavour not to do that again - even here...

Reply to
DanB

he probably does, mind you it's safe what car criminal is going to go near an alfa let alone be seen in it! :)

Reply to
Vamp

Yup, I do.

The dodgy end of Hall Green (Sparkhill / Acocks Green end), Oldbury and Washwood Heath.

Also, the less desireable parts of the ex-coal mining valleys towns, plus dodgy areas of Bristol and also leave it on show in Ealing every week.

Not had a problem yet - either in the Passat or the Alfa.

These days, everyone has sat. nav., so picking random cars is just as much a measure of there being a unit in the car as a cradle on the screen.

Sometimes I don't even take the nav. unit out of the cradle.

I can only conclude that areas of Manchester are even more pikey then I remembered.

Reply to
SteveH

i carry an RAC road atlas, no ones ever busted my window for it even when i once left it on the passenger seat, must of been lucky :)

Reply to
Vamp