97 Cobra - thinking of buying

I test drove a comlpetely stock 97 Cobra yesterday (triple black coupe) with approx. 40K miles on it. I'm thinking about buying the car, and would appreciate any thoughts / suggestions in terms of things to look for (or look out for!!)

It's basically going to be my summer go fast toy, and the price, condition and meileage all seem to be right, but thought I would check here first.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Reply to
KB

Claud Spinks

I think I might have made a boo-boo re: triple black - wouldn't that be black exterior, interior and top on a vert?? (which of course doesn't work when the car is a coupe....... The car is a black coupe with black leather interior...

ooops....

Keith

Reply to
KB

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:32:24 GMT, "KB" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Hard to say when you didn't mention anything other then color & mileage. Knowing the price would help. Have you matched it up to NADA Guides? Don't use KBB.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

JS,

Ya my freaking rear sway bar broke twice so far... I've gotten it re-welded the first time for $40. It's still broken at the moment because it's not even running... it's in the shop right now & they think it's something called "Constant Control Module". What is that? Serge everybody here knows very well you're an electrical genius.. I hope you're reading this post =).

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Mine broke at 32k. I replaced it with a Steeda HD unit and it has held up so far. :) That is a job I don't want to do again. Getting the holes lined up was a major pain being by yourself.

Reply to
Steve B

I have an all black '97 Cobra. I bought it new and it is just about to turn 90,000 miles. here is what has gone wrong in the last 6 years:

  1. Brakes wore out at about 65,000 (upgraded to motorsport drilled rotors and EBC greenstuff pads)

  1. Pinon seal started dripping at about 70,000 (used it as an excuse to change to 3.73 gears)

  2. Clutch wore out at about 75,000 (upgraded to a King Cobra)

  1. Just replaced the plugs and plug wires at 89,000 (ouch, expensive, plugs each, factory wires 0!?.)

  2. Nothing else has failed or required replacement (other than tires, wiper blades, etc.) However, the 2nd gear synchro is pretty weak and requires that the first two shifts of the morning are made with great care to avoid clashing. Thereafter, the shifting is fine. Pretty darn reliable if you ask me. I expect to drive it for another year or so.

Bill Cunningham Atlanta

Reply to
bill cunningham

Mine broke before 30k. I replaced it with a 1983 Capri RS (Mustang GT spec) swaybar because it was all I had. Did it on my lunch half-hour with some hand tools and no jack. I used my foot to hold up the other side slightly and started the bolts... wasn't so bad.

JS

Reply to
JS

Hey Kieth,

I have a '98 Triple Black Cobra and I have no complaints what so ever. It just turned 36, 000 miles and everything works like it is new. Good luck.

Steve

98 SVT Cobra #5098 Triple Black Steeda Underdrive Pulleys Steeda Adjustable Clutch Quadrant Steeda Tri Ax Shifter Borla Cat Back Exhaust MAC Cold Air Intake Bassani X Pipe (sitting in a box in the living room for now) 02 FLHRSEI 00 FXSTD Stage II
Reply to
SJB