Considering a Mustang, help me out!

Hey, new to the group but maybe some of you older hands can help me out. I have a friend who's good with cars but he's more of a Pontiac guy and doesn't know the ins and outs on Mustangs. I'd appreciate any advice on the following topics. Just to set up my questions, I live in central Ohio, so snow is a factor, but not a big one. I'd be sticking strictly to street driving and not doing much in the way of tuning. Probably looking for a 6-cylinder unless I find a teriffic deal on a GT. Here goes:

I'm looking for a car in the 2000-2004 year range. Any major differences in the quality or performance in that range?

Convertible or hardtop? I could probably keep the car garaged, but it would have to be exposed to the elements during the winter.

Also related to weather, how big of a factor is the traction control in wet and snowy conditions?

How do the automatic transmissions do as far as performance and reliability? (I can drive and will consider manual or auto).

Any mechanical issues that tend to crop up in the 20-35K mileage range? That's probably where my search will turn up the most vehicles when price and model year are factored in. Anything to look out for?

Finally, any other general advice in buying a newer, pre-owned Mustang? I appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks!

Reply to
Mike M

assuming you mean you live in Athens, that's different than living in Columbus.

AFAIK, you dont really have to sweat reliability too much..

What's more important, the hormonal rush of the car's performance... or the hormonal rush of driving a chick magnet?

if the former... a GT HT, the latter a v6 convert. both would be about the same cost, i think.

But why not drive some cars and just go with the car that seems to fit you?

That's the deal... dont go just by looks or fantasy... if you dont feel like the car is an extension of you within a mile or two, you will end up indifferent to it, at best and hating it if there are any problems at all.

also insurance, if you're of student age, is a big factor.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Mike,

I'll answer what I can.

The junky T-45 trans was replaced with a much sturdier Tremec in, I believe, 2001.

Living up north, I'd definately get a hardtop.

Big. Get TC.

See above. Sticks always offer better performance and more fun.

I wouldn't get a 3.8. They're notorious for eating head gaskets before 100,000 miles.

Get a GT, but if you can find a deal get a Mach 1 get that.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I used my 2002 GT a couple of times in my first winter of ownership. Simply not good in snow / ice, as I spun out twice going about 5 MPH..Possibly 4 snow tires will help.

Martin

2002GT 5spd 243 rwhp 285 rwtq
Reply to
Martin

Martin opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

tell the truth, was that not while turning a corner? trac-lok for ya... needed more friction modifier.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Oje time it was going up a slight incline with traction control off. The other time was turnig a corner with traction control on. Both times right around 5 MPH. Martin

2002GT 5spd 243rwhp 285 rwtq
Reply to
Martin

You must learn to embrace the spin. Driving a Mustang in winter can be as reliable as any car and a lot more fun.

dwight '93 LX 5.0 5-speed that loves the cold weather

Reply to
dwight

Empty your mind, young grass smoker. Be one with the car, be one with the spin; only then will you be ready to embrace the spin during winter.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Yep .. recommend practice in empty snowy parking lot.

in fact, practice can keep you from disaster...

i did a 360 one morning in the middle of three lanes rush hour traffic... black ice!

Fortunately I was a few hundred feet in front of the pack... scrubbed down quick from about 60 to 25 or so .. and, in spite of my surprise, managed to get the thing down to second gear and get speed before I got hit in the butt.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I understand "the freak". Really. I've been in cars with other folks driving, and one little slip in the slush and they "freak". Heck, I've had passengers in the Mustang who "freaked" when I slid the car to facilitate a turn. It's a weird feeling to them, almost one of helplessness.

But they need to remember that a car is not an old man walking on ice. The old man... one slip and out goes a hip. The car is not harmed by a (controlled) slide, and, in fact, it's better for the tires since there's no friction.

In all seriousness, though... Slides should be practiced and should become standard in the driver's repertoire. It happens to all vehicles, so you might as well be prepared for it. And it doesn't have to be a scary thing.

When I was taking flying lessons, we were going to cover spin recovery and control. It wasn't mandatory, just something the instructor thought we damned well oughtta know.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

GOD! I love doing that....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Slides can be fun except I would rather do them in my 98 Ranger. Been driving a long time and have only been in a few snow banks. Prefer to keep the GT in the garage when snow is around. Martin

2002 GT 5spd 243 rwhp 285 rwtq
Reply to
Martin

Some good info guys, it should help. Just for the record, I do live in Columbus...so I should probably choose the engine with the best idle because no one here knows how to drive in bad weather (I grew up in Cleveland)...

And I think I get the picture...traction control and some capable all-weather tires ;)

Reply to
Mike M

Well... Don't ask Erik D. He's a traitor! :-Þ

The best advice, get the most bang for your buck Fall in love, within your budget.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Heck, a good raion can turn your day into hell. My 95GT has surprised me in the rain also. What seemed like a slow turn on a dry road became a very tricky turn in the rain. Like others said, play with it. Pick a wet empty road and push the car over the limit to see what it does and when it does it. You will be surprised. I have never driven a mustang in the snow but I bet it's very tricky.

Rein

One time in Sacramento I was turning onto an overpass just as it started raining. I could have SWORN that I was on ice, even with light throttle it had no traction at all. I switched from the GoodYear tires that came on it to Nittos and never ahd that problem again, but it was scarey to say the least.

Kate

| >> Empty your mind, young grass smoker. Be one with the car, be one with the | >> spin; only then will you be ready to embrace the spin during winter. | >

| >Yep .. recommend practice in empty snowy parking lot. | >

| >in fact, practice can keep you from disaster... | >

| >i did a 360 one morning in the middle of three lanes rush hour traffic... | >black ice! | >

| >Fortunately I was a few hundred feet in front of the pack... scrubbed down | >quick from about 60 to 25 or so .. and, in spite of my surprise, managed to | >get the thing down to second gear and get speed before I got hit in the butt. | | Heck, a good raion can turn your day into hell. My 95GT has surprised | me in the rain also. What seemed like a slow turn on a dry road became | a very tricky turn in the rain. Like others said, play with it. Pick a | wet empty road and push the car over the limit to see what it does and | when it does it. You will be surprised. I have never driven a mustang | in the snow but I bet it's very tricky. | | Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
SVTKate

Getting on the RT 30 west bypass of RT113 can be a bitch in the rain just the way the entrance is crowned and curved wow the ass end will really swing out on ya when wet. Also I find that when accelerating on wet pavement you have to be carefull letting out the clutch other wise yourr ass end will break loose and at 40 plus mph that will make you shit yourself unless you expect it.

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Dunno where you guys live, but up here in the Rockies, I trade in my 5.0 EVERY winter for my Bronco-saurus. We get snow to the ears adn the 5.0 is a death trap. Believe it or not, the worst is slow speed/up-hill driving. If you have to stop or even slow down on any kind of slope, you'll just go sideways into the next car when you touch the gas. Maybe, MAYBE with P175 studded winter tires with 500lbs of sand in the back, you might stand a chance. But I would still bet against it.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia

I've had Shug jump sideways a few times, but nothing as bad as the GT with those tires. I learned to be careful because I didn't want to have to clean the seats off LOL

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Geez Kate, just what WERE you doing with that other driving hand?

///Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to