More on EDR new law

Rep. Capuano (D, MA) has introduced bill HR1015...

." a bill to give a vehicle owner control over the data collected through his/her car's EDR or "black box". It also requires manufacturers to provide consumers with the option of enablin and disbling EDR's in their automobiles".

"the bill also clarifies that all data recorded pm tje edr be the property of the vehicles owner. The data collected may not be downloaded withud the consent of the vehicle owner, unless a court order is in place."

Source National Motorists Foundation, April newsletter.

Clearly, you are exposed to some additional liabilities as it stands now, else, why propose this law?

Norm

Good Lord, a very rare instance of an elected rep attempting to stand up for our rights rather then trying to take them away. It won't be long before the right to not incriminate yourself will merely be a privilege.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You really take things too far. The way I read this, the bill is intended only to "clarify" the situation, not some flag-waving uberpatriot attempt to protect our unstated rights.

Oh - and don't overlook "court order." We all know how tough THOSE are to come by...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Well, at least it's a start. I wrote that rep a thank you note. Then I wrote mine and asked him to co sponsor it.

retgards,

Norm