new leather interior in my 96 GT Vert

YES! The leather shop did a great job! I paid somewhere around $600 at autoleathers.com to get custom tan/black leather for front and back. And Cecil's Auto Trim charged me $450 to install it.

If you are in Austin and want someone to redo your leather, these guys do a great job. I'll post some pictures soon. Ah it smells and looks like a new car again!

Cecils Auto Trim

4926 N. Lamar 452-6642 South of 51st street on west side of Lamar $450
Reply to
Scotter

600 for the leather sounds good, but 450 to install it ? Did they have to do any stitching ? I've seen this done on tv in the various car programs and it didn't all seem that difficult. How's the leather ? Probably better quality than oem.

Rein

cecil suckered ya

hurc ast

Reply to
mindy5734

From what I've heard from 3 different installers around town is this: Ford (not sure if all Ford or just Mustangs) does their leather seats different than other automotive mfgrs in that they glue the leather directly to the foam and supposedly this makes it harder for aftermarket installers to put in new leather because the new leather is typically ordered to exact size, not large enough to just put on top of the old leather. So I guess old leather needs to be carefully stripped from the foam and then new leather glued down and even stitched in some places. I was quoted prices around town anywhere from $300 to $700. And every one of them, when I told them it was a Mustang, cringed and one guy said he wasn't sure he could even get it to look very good.

Reply to
Scotter

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:50:24 -0700, Rein wrote something wonderfully witty:

I was wondering about the quality of the Leather as well. The price does not seem all that out of line. $125 per bucket and $200 for the backseat seems to be about the going rate. That does add up to 450 doesn't it? :)

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I'd love to see the pics! How's the leather? Softer than OEM?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I had one of my seats repaired a few years ago and hung out at the upholstery shop while the guy did it. I had known him for years so it gave us time to catch up. What you said is absolutely true. The bolsters are glued. I helped him get the cover off of the seat and then we turned it inside out. It's a rather involved project. He pointed out to me how they are assembled at the factory when I ask him about recovering with better leather. He said that because of this replacing the leather is a time consuming process that if not done properly can come out very poorly. He then explained that he personally didn't want to go there LOL.

Kate

| >>YES! | >>The leather shop did a great job! | >>I paid somewhere around $600 at autoleathers.com to get custom tan/black | >>leather for front and back. | >>And Cecil's Auto Trim charged me $450 to install it. | >>

| >>If you are in Austin and want someone to redo your leather, these guys do | >>a | >>great job. | >>I'll post some pictures soon. Ah it smells and looks like a new car again! | >>

| > 600 for the leather sounds good, but 450 to install it ? Did they have | > to do any stitching ? I've seen this done on tv in the various car | > programs and it didn't all seem that difficult. | > How's the leather ? Probably better quality than oem. | >

| > Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks, Kate, for this info! It's nice to have confirmation that these guys were telling the truth.

Reply to
Scotter

Any ol time Scotter :)

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

It SEEMS softer but then that is compared to leather that was 9 years old. I can't say I remember exactly how soft it was when I bought it new.

Reply to
Scotter

So where are those pics???

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

My digital camera was stolen a few weeks ago and I'm still needing to buy a new one. But it will happen :)

Reply to
Scotter

Oh man, that sucks! Ok, I guess I'll let you slide THIS time ;¬D

| |

Reply to
SVTKate