Step one... check!

Okay. Phase One of my project has been completed.

Jean and I went out a couple of Sundays ago, looking for a two-car garage. We looked at quite a few, and decided that the very first one we saw was a pretty good fit.

We went out again this past Sunday to a bunch more two-car garage Open Houses, and still found that the very first one we'd seen was the best. So we went back for another look-see.

The house and grounds that come with the two-car garage are in excellent shape, and a far cry from the twin that we've been crowding into since 1984.

Now, I know "the look" Jean gets when she absolutely has to have something. It's the same look that I had back in 1993 when I first saw TFrog. It's the look that says, "I'm getting this, so get the hell out of the way."

Within 48 hours, we were pre-approved for a new mortgage, had contacted a real estate agent about selling our home, and had made an offer on the new house (which has been accepted).

If all goes well, I'll be putting up shelves in my new garage by mid-April (earlier, if we can rush things along).

It is a fully-functional two-car garage, not a pretend two-car garage. It doesn't have running water and drains (far as I can tell), but at least I can wash the car and then pull it inside for a leisurely polish and wax.

TFrog's going to be so happy.

dwight

dwight

Still in Delaware county Dwight? Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

West Goshen. The house backs up to a reservoir! I got my trees, but I didn't get the burbling brook I wanted. The reservoir will have to do.

:()

Reply to
dwight

I thought the picture I saw of your Exploder was in front of a two car garage? Don't you need one that will hold more than two anyway??

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Welcome to chester county, I know the neiborhood you'r thinking of. Nice.............there are some nice cruising roads in the vicinity.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Thanks, but me, too. West Chester is like the hub of a spoke wheel when I go out cruising. From there, you can head in almost any direction and find great roads. So, now I'll live in the "hub".

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Nah. That was out back of our twin. One side was actually a garage at one time, but the previous owner had turned it into a storage room (it was also where I garaged my motorcycle, when I had one). The other side is the laundry room. We have room to park two vehicles, but that's about it.

The new place has a nice long driveway, leading up to the garage, with plenty of room to maneuver when I want to switch cars. For the time being, it'll still be the Escape, the two '93s, and my daughter's car (she'll be coming along with us). And that's step one.

Step two is putting a new convertible in that garage, but that'll wait until after we're settled in.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

garage.

Hey, Stranger.

No water?! No drains?! That isn't a real garage! Geeze, next you'll be telling us it doesn't have a lift or tiled floor either. Frog, these things are essentials! Please explain that to Jean. j/k

Wish you the best with your home purchase!

And I thought you were spending all your time in a football NG...

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

And reversal of that will be like, step 3 or 4? ROFL!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Does a slant that makes water run out of the doors count as a drain?? :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Yeah, yeah... Hey, she was real close to having signed an apartment lease, before things went sour at work. Instead of having her with us for another few months, she could have been with us for a few months WITH her lease payments. I consider myself fortunate.

dwight (Besides, she's more than welcome)

Reply to
dwight

Patrick, you know as well as I that it's all about "compromise". I forego the drains, the lift, and the ceramic surfaces, and she gets to not beat me up.

Thanks. I have to go study up on wells now...

I've always split my time between the two! I only hope that Mustangs give me a banner year like the Eagles did... We shall see.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I just hope it's a very nice garage because just the thought of moving after a decade or two in the same house would have me bolting upright and screaming in the middle of the night. I also hope you're holding some cash back from the sale of your present home, for the convertible and the lift and the plumbing and the TO collectibles. My wife refinanced our house a few years back and we didn't pull out a damn dime. That's un-American.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

20 years. 20 years of accumulated CRAP, all hidden away in every nook and cranny. I didn't sleep much last night, thinking about the weirdest things. (Like, when I wash my car now, the water runs off into the alleyway, down to the street, and then down the storm drains. When I wash my cars at the new place, the water will drain into my back yard.)

Agreed. We've refinance a few times over the years. (We were lucky to buy a home in 1984 with an assumed mortgage of only 12.75%.) One refinance just happened to be in 1993, when I got a certain black Mustang out of the deal.

After 20 years, it looks like we're going to recoup every dime we ever spent on the place, and then some. "Almost" all of it is going down on the new house, but none of it is going toward the convertible. But, since I absolutely deserve a new Mustang convertible, I shall have one.

dwight (Anybody wanna buy a 1993 GT convertible for ...oh... $20,000?)

Reply to
dwight

Maybe cars are like governments, we all get the one we deserve.

About the re-fi's, in Cali it's a middle class hobby to be pulling out your equity every five years and keeping yourself mortgaged to the hilt. It's the market; prices double about every seven years. A 1300 sq ft 3 bedroom house sitting on a 3800 sq ft lot a couple blocks from me just sold for $830,000. I am not making this up. That's why I say it's un-American of my wife not to have pulled out any dough on our re-fi.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Maybe cars are like governments, we all get the one we deserve.

About the re-fi's, in Cali it's a middle class hobby to be pulling out your equity every five years and keeping yourself mortgaged to the hilt. It's the market; prices double about every seven years. A 1300 sq ft 3 bedroom house sitting on a 3800 sq ft lot a couple blocks from me just sold for $830,000. I am not making this up. That's why I say it's un-American of my wife not to have pulled out any dough on our re-fi.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

I don't know about that... but I'm special. I deserve the best.

Perspective. When I was a youngster in my 30s, I had no problem taking equity out of the home for major purchases. The real estate market was booming then, too, so there was no fear that I wouldn't be able to get it all back. The 90s were particularly flat (around here, at least), and for those ten years, the value of my home rose by about $10.00. It was important to have the lowest interest rate and to concentrate on getting the principal down.

Today we have low interest rates, but housing prices are in a mini-boom again. We felt we had to move NOW. Historically, interest rates seem to settle at between 7.5 and 8.5, so we're betting that today's rates will look REAL good over the next 20 years.

That, and the fact that we just turned 50, means that we won't be taking any more money OUT of the house, but instead make accelerated payments to be debt-free A.S.A.P. We plan on staying put for (knock wood) the next 25 years....

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Reply to